Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
hates waking up early
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at used drift boats right now and I think I found a good deal but tbh I don't know much about how to gauge a boat's bottom condition or what I'm looking for... I've tried using Google and YouTube and can't really find a walk through.

This is on a 2003 Hyde Pro Series. Boat and trailer are $3,200. Can someone tell me if the bottom of this boat looks in decent condition? Are the two divots in the bottom, the boat's drain plugs?

Thanks in advance!

Tire Wheel Vehicle Hood Automotive tire

Boat Boat trailer Naval architecture Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Watercraft

Tire Wheel Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Want more time on the water
86 Posts
OK. I''ll venture a take....based upon what is shown in the photos alone , the bottom is in good condition. I cannot tell if the hull marks are true scrapes, cosmetic/surface marks or just dirt. As for the two holes, do they look machined or pre-cast? Are they threaded/ removable? I don't see a bilge plug in the photos...they may indeed be drains. Ask the current owner what they are for, or call Hyde.
Fair disclosure; I've owned fiberglass boats but now fish an aluminum one. There is no "right answer" , but lots of discussion on pros and cons of maintenance and operations if you search the threads on this forum.

In any case, you should look at the boat painstakingly in-person before you buy. The chines (where the bottom meets the sides of the hull) are the single most important part of the boat structurally, followed by the bottom, transom and bow joint. Do a 100% check the along the chines to see evidence of scrapes, cracks or side impacts. Check the whole hull. Look for divets /scrapes (use your fingers...fiberglass doesn't always discolor) along the chines. Trailers matter too. A google search will help e.g. lights, tire condition, wheel bearings etc.

If you have time, check every fixture e.g. seat, pulpit, anchor release, bench support etc. etc. for integrity. If it jiggles or is excessively corroded, you will need to replace/re-tap/ re-drill /re-attach it at some point soon.

I wish you success in your search.

·
Registered
204 Posts
^ good advice.
I would add that Hyde has a proprietary bottom coating as an option. My Hyde Is about that vintage, and I got the optional coating - Which has been bulletproof for me. My boat is heavily used, and the hull is still in great condition.

Hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like it may have that coating on the bottom?

I have had to rebuild my casting deck twice as the fiberglass joints cracked. My rear seat post failed, and the axle on my crank has bent twice and needed a replacement. Those are the only issues I’ve experienced on my boat.

·
hates waking up early
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Guys, thank you so much for your replies. I literally missed the boat... Took too long to response and it was already pending. I should have done my research so I was better prepared. Next time!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts