Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About to move my drifter and trailer to outdoor storage and I'm wondering what you bros use to keep someone from driving off with it. Chains and padlocks? The boot?

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
My boat is rarely kept outside, except when it's hitched to my truck, like at the boat launch on the river, but when it is I always just keep a lock in the coupler - the same Master Lock that I use when I have my boat/trailer hitched to my truck.

Here is the lock I use:

Font Building Metal Rectangle Temperature

It is solid brass and pretty heavy. Once it's in the coupler, and locked, there isn't much space left for someone to cut the lock off - although like anything else, if somebody is determined to steal your boat, almost nothing will make it theft proof.

If I kept my boat outside all the time in an unsecured place I might want to consider a GPS tracking device.

John

·
Ignored Member
12,110 Posts
I seen where thieves chained the trailer to their rig and drove away with the boat. I seen a truck at the Hamilton boat launch with the hitch housing was unbolted from the trailer and was hanging on the padlocked receiver minus the trailer.

I have a trailer wheel lock that bolts to the wheel's lug nut and prevents the removal of the wheel short of cutting the entire assembly off.

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
I think security in an unsecured area is close to impossible. Faced with that situation I would use a hitch coupler lock, a 1/2" cable through a wheel and around the trailer frame and locked. Actually those are what I use on my boat inside my locked garage. I have no experience with, but read that GPS tracking devices are now pretty cheap. That seems like a good idea because a boat parked outside in an unsecured area is really thief bait. So a pistol may be handy when you track down your stolen boat.

Sg

·
Piscatorial predilection
2,439 Posts
I seen where thieves chained the trailer to their rig and drove away with the boat. I seen a truck at the Hamilton boat launch with the hitch housing was unbolted from the trailer and was hanging on the padlocked receiver minus the trailer.

I have a trailer wheel lock that bolts to the wheel's lug nut and prevents the removal of the wheel short of cutting the entire assembly off.
You could weld that hitch housing to the trailer.

LB

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Also have good pictures of everything including some with your hull/vin #'s and save any receipts.
Definitely. If someone wants to steal something bad enough, they can find a way to do it. Do what you can to deter theft, but have the back up plan in place. Super annoying that the good guys always pay for the idiots' selfishness and laziness. I pay about $200 per year for $14,000 of complete coverage. I lock the hitch to my truck, lock the hitch to the trailer, and put a ball lock on the trailer when not attached to my vehicle. I don't leave the motor on the boat when it's being stored outside. I know of two people with motors similar to mine that have been stolen recently. Annoying.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Switch the hitch to a 5th wheel pull. That will limit who can steal it. Just kidding. You guys definitely have problems I don't think about. Some smart or very desperate thieves in your part of the country.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.