Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
No longer here
4,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To celebrate my wife's birthday, which is today, first I gave her a kiss and sent her off to work. After dropping my son off at wrestling practice I headed north in search of some water. I had zero expectations given my late start, but with the cloud cover and warmer air temps, hitting a river didn't seem like the worst idea to me. Drove out Ben Howard. Every place worth fishing was chock full of guys. Onward and southward to my favorite little secluded run near Carnation. 3 rigs parked there. Onward toward Fall City. Another favorite run occupied by two rigs. Proceeded out David Powell to find, not unexpectedly, a rig at every pullout and an angler in every run. One guy appeared to be gearing down to leave so I pulled over and waited. Watched a guy and his youngish daughter fishing gear. The young lady hooked up with a fish and was fighting it hard while her dad(?) snapped photos- fun for her. Didn't see if they landed it, as the rig I was waiting on pulled out and left. I moved in, geared up, and spent a couple hours working a nice run, taking my time. The wind was tolerable, and the water was the right color and devoid of any players. Felt good just to find a spot to wet a line. A few rigs were drove up and down the road surveying the water- all looking for a spot to fish. Doesn't anybody work? ; )

·
Registered
323 Posts
I'm planning to hit Fall City area again tomorrow before work. Hopefully the forecasted rain will keep some of the folks at home. I've not yet explored David Powell road, though I have had several folks recommend spots along there. I usually try and get to fishing locations before sunrise, as it seems to be the only way to avoid getting crowded out. Even then, it's not unusual to wind up somewhere that the gear folks feel a need to cast over your line, or wade into the run just below you.

·
No longer here
4,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TMIB:

While there were guys in every run, and a couple drift boats with guys pulling plugs, it was all good today- nobody stepping on anyone's toes. One guy and his son drifted by in an aluminum Hyde, well out of reach of my casting, but they didn't fish through the run because I was there. In fact, the guy in the boat was real pleasant and said, "Normally I'd pull through here because there are fish lying right on this seam if you can reach it with your cast." Turns out I couldn't quite get my fly to swing through the seam but it sure looked like a good spot to hit from a boat. Drive up the DP road to the turnaround at the dead end. Turn around and head back a couple hundred yards. Park at the Deer Xing sign. Walk down through the brush just south of the sign. Fish from there down to the riffles. Try to hit the outside seam by the cedar tree on the opposite bank.:thumb:

·
Registered
323 Posts
Thanks, Itchy!

I was just "driving" that road in Google Street view before reading your post, and had marked the turnout just before that sign as a likely place to check out. I was a little unsure of what the access was like though, as well as the water level, since the map views are all summertime views. Someone else had told me about that same area of the river, but they said you couldn't get a fly there in the winter. Presumably they were talking about that same seam, and the higher water level makes it that much farther to cast to. :)

Good to know that there's access down to the water there. I'll let you know how things go tomorrow!

--Tracy

·
Donny, you're out of your element...
4,500 Posts
Itchy, why are you posting Oldman style driving reports (I went to XXXXX then I drove to YYYYYY) here rather than taking your wife to Applebees and then home to watch a really great relationship-building movie like Mrs Doubtfire or better yet Hotel Rwanda or Schindler's List, I mean c'mon get off the computer, treat your lady right....

here are some combos to help get you back in her good books, to make her feel special:

The Olive Garden......An inconvenient Truth
Outback Steak House.....Nutty Professor 2: The Klumps
Tony Roma's.....Brokeback Mountain
Chijis.....The Road
Cheesecake Factory......Bring it on 2

Any body else got some suggestions....I mean it's a disaster in the making

·
No longer here
4,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tracy-
Access to the river along there is real easy. And you can wade out a good distance- almost far enough to get your fly where it needs to be. A good two-handed caster could probably reach the opposite bank. Me, not so much ; ) Watch your footing up there- lots of basketball sized rocks and the current is enough to knock you off your feet if you loose footing. Water levels are good right now. If the river comes up, and it will in the next few days withe rain forecast, it'll be a little trickier wading.

·
No longer here
4,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Itchy why are you posting Oldman style driving reports (I went to XXXXX then I drove to YYYYYY) here rather than taking your wife to Applebees and then home to watch a really great relationship-building movie like Mrs Doubtfire or better yet Hotel Rwanda or Schindler's List, I mean c'mon get off the computer, treat your lady right....
Come on Boot, cut me some slack. I did the laundry today and took her out for Mexican food. What more could a girl want? Now I'm gonna send her an email and ask if she'll give me a foot rub while we watch MMA on Versus.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Tracy-
Access to the river along there is real easy. And you can wade out a good distance- almost far enough to get your fly where it needs to be. A good two-handed caster could probably reach the opposite bank. Me, not so much ; ) Watch your footing up there- lots of basketball sized rocks and the current is enough to knock you off your feet if you loose footing. Water levels are good right now. If the river comes up, and it will in the next few days withe rain forecast, it'll be a little trickier wading.
We'll see how well I can cast. My regular fly rod is on its way back to Sage right now to get repaired/replaced, so I'm gonna be using my thrift store special- an old 7 wt montague rod.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Had a good time out there this morning. That's a nice area, and I can see where it'd be really fantastic for summer runs when the water is lower.

My junky thrift store flyrod didn't hold up too well. Looked at one point and saw that one of the guides was gone. Hrm. Oh well, I guess I'll keep at it a while.

A few minutes later *plink* another guide popped off. Ugh. Well, maybe a few more casts and we'll see...

*plink* three guides down... time to quit.

My regular rod should be back from Sage soon, though I think this is a good sign that I should start budgeting for a nice switch rod or spey rod.

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
Hey Itchy, you asked if any body worked any more. well I don't work. And I haven't worked in over ten years now. Retirement sure is nice. But I'm not going to go to any "S" in the near future. It's just too long of a drive.

Jim

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.