Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Robert
3,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as a result of the previous 4 years of drought here in California, some of my lakes have been drawn down to the point where they were a trickle of a channel of the feeder creek. With this past winter's rain and snowpack things look promising, but I am wondering about the insect life; is there any that could survive by burying themselves in mud as frogs can do? I'm thinking maybe choronomids? How long will it take for a lake that is alkaline to replenish it's insect life such as chonos, scuds, leeches?

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
I'm anxious to hear what our entomological experts say. A number of years ago a lake I was familiar with went through a man-caused drought. As I walked around the lake I saw countless dead gamarus scuds. They were dead, turning pinkish orange in death. When things returned, the lake was back to its fertile fishery in no time. But: it wasn't a trickle of a channel either, just a major drawdown.

·
Indi Ira
9,505 Posts
Midges will recover quickly enough, because they wander a lot from one source to the next. Mayflies will do the same if there are other bodies of water near enough that also hold them. Damsels and dragons will take longer but should also repopulate. I'm. It sure about scuds or snails.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
There are a couple of reservoirs in my part of Oregon that are drawn down to being very small at the end of the year. The one I fish the most has the best fish survival and growth when the water is highest. I would say it has only moderate productivity. In the highly productive one the farmers own all of the water and draw it down to nothing every few years in late August. This has no happened for the past three years. On the first year here was enough water in November for ODFW to plant 60,000 4-5 inch trout which were 16 inches by the next June. It seems that the aquatic fauna re recovering quickly! The last couple of years they have not had enough water to plant until spring when ODFW will dump in a few thousand put and take fish and I have not fished it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.