Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Make my day
4,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
May 10th to 18th

Packed up the rig with the Wife and dogs and headed over to a remote lake in the high country. I say high country because of the grade you have to take to get up to the lake. Man, that is one crazy drive in a 31' motorhome. If you've been there, you know where I'm talking about. Even so it was crowded up there. I guess word got out.bawling: We got lucky and got one of the best spots on the lake. Others had to camp on the road up above. I mean ON the road.

Took the whitehull ( 14' lapside rowboat) as it does better on a lake dealing with wind. Plus I can row the 2 + miles from end to end without braking a sweat. With the wife on board.

Te lake is stocked with rainbow only. It's to far out of the way to be poached so there are plenty of fish in it. The fall 07 stockers are now running in the mid 20's and are about the same in girth.

Most of the guys were starring at indicators, doing well but probably into the smaller fish. The older fish were in the spawn and spent their day up in the shallows.

We had a good callibaetis hatch almost every day. Went from 10:30 AM to as late as 2:30 PM. The fish weren't to picky, so long as you got the size (14 to 10)and color (black)about right. Had some good ant hatches come off on the hotter days. Size 10, black.

I don't think I had a single day under 20 fish to hand. One day, right from my camp I landed 5 fish in the 20's. In a hour of fishing or less. All on a single 14 royal coachman. Or what was left of one.:rofl:

Did have a storm blow thru on Sunday night. Big gust of wind picked up the 100lb boat 5' into the air. it landed about 20' away. No damage done.

Had some great food. The dutch ovens I got from Bitterroot got put to good use. Thanks Lonnie.

Tried to talk the boss into letting me stay a few more days. He asked if I could come home early, as a couple of the guys were out sick. Boy, did that backfire.bawling:

Some of the best fishing I have ever had.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Jeff.

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
Damn sorry I missed this trip but my presence would have just ruined your fishing. Also sorry about the backfire. Glad you had a great time.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Sounds great Jeff.
I trust the motorhome was in tip top shape (finally)?
Pics?

·
Blind hog fisherman
2,895 Posts
Jeff, glad you had a great trip, this was a nice report. It's been my experience that phone calls to the office, like passing in football (to quote the late Darrell Royal U. of Texas or maybe it was Bear Bryant), have three possible outcomes, two of which are bad.

·
Tricoptera
460 Posts
Drove up there May 7 and checked it out for a little bit, no fishing involved. It was dumping snow and the wind was nasty. Couldnt believe how many people were up there with it being relatively early in the year and nasty weather. With your report I now understand why the crowds even with the snow/cold temps. The less scary/back route was still snowed in and had not melted out yet when I attempted a loop trip I had to turn around and back track a couple miles from the lake turn off.

·
fish-ician
1,474 Posts
It's been my experience that phone calls to the office, like passing in football (to quote the late Darrell Royal U. of Texas or maybe it was Bear Bryant), have three possible outcomes, two of which are bad.
I heard it was Woody Hayes that said that, but I went to Ohio State.....

Wayne

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.