Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many people here fish dries only? I'm curious about the practical fishing rational behind it. I've had clients in the past and even friends in the present that will not nymph or streamer fish. The attitude behind it is usually one stemming from a sense of pride. I tend to look at it as stemming from ignorance. Enlighten me to why you would fish a stimulator when there isn't a single hatch or nose on the surface.

·
"Chasing Riseforms"
4,977 Posts
I fish dry fly a lot. I'm ignorant too. I will nymph on occasion. I get a real rush from raising a fish to the surface. That's just my gig, even if there isn't a whole lot going on. It just turns me on man! What's funny, is I will see guys throwing nymphs when there is a good hatch on.... is that ignorance for them too? Ha. I guess there is just something about fooling a fish to the dry. I also enjoy watching the "take". I think that's half the pleasure right there. Slurp! Mostly ignorant... dryflylarry

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
Larry, if there is a hatch and someone is fishing a nymph that imitates that bug in the nymph or emerging stage that seems to make a lot of sense to me. What do I know though? Not much.

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not "only"...just 99% of the time. And I can see the big ones rise to the surface...with hatches or not. Depends on the techniqe, pattern, etc.
That makes no sense to me, which is why I'm asking those to explain the rational. "Depends on the technique?" Are you saying technique outweighs a fishes feeding pattern?

·
Banned
5,200 Posts
Gives them an excuse to not catch fish....

i could go for an excuse....

During grasshopper season though it makes sense. Ugh fuck those are terrestrials. Does a golden hopper count as a dry fly??

·
Still truckless now farther away
1,693 Posts
DryFly I'm with you mostly, I love watching the take and the fish rising on the streams. but I will fish a nymph if there's no rising fish and I'm fishing but I just enjoy the being out there and I don't have to fish to be happy about it. I do really enjoy the visual and will watch the fish if nothing else to see how they behave and search for food. Sometimes you'll see a fishes behavior and say I've got to try for that one and see if I can fool him.

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
I don't nymph. That is, I've stopped using attached weight. I don't like casting weight and nymphing isn't fun.

I think that all the nymphing I did in the great lakes ruined the whole thing for me.

Sox win 6-3,
cds

·
It's all about the sauce.....
551 Posts
Pan, I read an article a year ago that over 80% of flyfishers prefer to fish dry. I'll admit, dry is what got me into this. I now fish whatever I think is asked of me. No hatch then go under. None of my friends fish nymphs. Could be all of the lost flies to rocks, timber and inability to see anything. So is it better to get skunked because you didn't get a riser or adapt to get the catch?

·
Love vintage graphite!
1,125 Posts
I started out dry fly fishing only cuz it was easier. Not to say it's easy to get the perfect drift with a dry but it is easier when you can see the fly. Then I started playing aound with nymphs. Not throwing lead, but subsurface flies. I find it to be much more challenging...and productive. Now I do both 90% of the time. A high floating dry with a nymph as a dropper. Interestingly, trout hit the nymph about 90% of the time. Where would that leave you if you were fishing the dry only?

1 - 20 of 80 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.