Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure many of you probably know about this drying technique.
I can't believe I didn't think of this before, but then again I'm pretty slow. I've tried it in the field and it works. The rubber band technique works wonders with CDC.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I don't use a dry fly very often for stillwaters but the few times I do and need to dry it... I just whip the devil out of the pattern. Whip it. Whip it. Whip it. I know it's drying out well if I hear a snap sound while drying the fly.:eek: Whip that sucker!
I think someone should embed a Devo song in here somewhere...

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I'll go along with GAT on this one, that's one of the reasons for false-casting. Amadou, a fungus product, various synthetic products sold as amadou substitutes and even a soft, well-worn cotton bandana work very well too.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A classic example of a solution in search of a problem
Like I said in my first post I'm pretty slow, so your probably right;) But it works for me using CDC dries, hit it with the rubber band, hit it with the Amadou Patch, hit it with dust and it's as good as new. Plus its a Rubber Band, so I'm not out much.

·
Just an Old Man
35,202 Posts
What's wrong with the Silicone stuff you dip your wet, soaked flies into. You don't need a rubber band for that. I used to carry a small tube in my fly vest. Flip the top and put you wet fly in it . Give it a shake or two and your good to go. You don't need to carry anything that would catch on anything while walking through the woods.

·
Dumbfounded
10,887 Posts
Bob Ross fan?
As a matter of fact I am. I watched the last episode he filmed just last night. It's too bad I reached the end. It was very relaxing watching him paint. If I ever do retire, the show has inspired me to take up oil painting again. I like the technique he created.

I got the fly drying technique I mentioned by watching Hank Patterson...

·
Moved to https://pnwflyfish.com
3,286 Posts
Not sure I'll start carrying a rubber band around, but sinking dry flies are a serious irritant for me. One of the reasons they're my least used style of fly. It seems like I end up spending more time drying the damn fly than actually fishing.

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
Not sure I'll start carrying a rubber band around, but sinking dry flies are a serious irritant for me. One of the reasons they're my least used style of fly. It seems like I end up spending more time drying the damn fly than actually fishing.
A sunken Stimulator can sometimes be "the ticket"... ;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.