Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found and bought a sage 389ll to give to my dad. It's a graphite ii model so I know it's the older version. My question is regarding the reel seat, it doesn't have the screw portion to tighten the reel on. Is this normal? It's all wood with 2 metal pieces that seems to wedge the reel on. Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I don't think that Sage built any LL rods with a slip ring reel seat, so you probably have a custom-built rod on a 389LL blank. The rings appear to be nickel silver which should brighten up nicely with a little metal polish. As noted above, the LL is one of the most highly-regarded rods Sage has ever built and my 490LL is one of my absolute favorite rods.

·
Director of Stoke
1,687 Posts
I don't think that Sage built any LL rods with a slip ring reel seat, so you probably have a custom-built rod on a 389LL blank. The rings appear to be nickel silver which should brighten up nicely with a little metal polish. As noted above, the LL is one of the most highly-regarded rods Sage has ever built and my 490LL is one of my absolute favorite rods.
Actually, the 2-weight, 3-weights and the 473 came standard with the Struble D-2 nickel silver slide ring seats.

·
Justified
4,940 Posts
+one. I love my 490LL.
By the way Steve, try a triangle taper line with that rod.

More than any of the 15 rods or so that I've owned, that line, with that rod, is simply a match made for perfection.

I had one of the original Lee Wulff TT lines, bright orange (hated the color) but could throw almost the whole line, and had short distance control, as well as roll casting, which is kinda rare with that line.

Something about that rod, just made casting utterly effortless.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.