Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Dungeness River, in western Washington, is one of the few rivers left in the country that's relatively undamaged. Home to almost every species of northwest Salmon, it suffers mainly from low flow. But changes are coming to the Olympic Peninsula. In the tiny town of Sequim, not 1,400 feet from the River, Wal-Mart is planning to build a new supercenter the size of the Tacoma Dome. Meanwhile, another shopping center - twice as large - is planned across the street. During our arid summers, pollution will build up on 75 acres of impervious parking lots. Come the first winter storm, that toxic material will be washed into stormwater ponds, then released into the ground. The sandy soil of this region is not good at retaining these toxins, so they will end up in the aquifer, which is in hydraulic continuity with the Dungeness River. Go to www.sequimfirst.org for more info. Anything from letters and e-mails to national publicity will help. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Sorry to hear about a river so close to home is so seriously threatened. Already, the King salmon are down to just a few hundred. Other than the hatchery that kicks out tons of snaggies, not much goes on there now. I don't see how these marketeers and manurobbers can be stopped. But I'll try even though I feel its pissing into the hurricane.
Bob:beathead

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Tough to battle the economics. Has the city looked at fed regs governing ESA listed species? Can the city divert the water into a pond? I'd like to see the environmental easement granted, if there is one. Back your heart with facts, within the system. Mitigate the damage if possible.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bob, where are you located? You might be able to help by getting on other fly fishing forums and spreading this information around. The more people that care that know about this the better. There are many influential people that Fly Fish and that could get us national publicity. Many are fighting this in other ways too. Traffic, local small businesses, property value, etc. Contact www.sequimfirst.org with any ideas. Do you or anyone else reading this post know a way to get this story national coverage? I'm thinking Nat Geo, NPR, CNN, etc. Please pass this around. Thanks!

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
I forgot what I was supposed to remember.

This has nothing to do with the Dungness River but I though I would just put it here. I was up on the N/Fork of the Skykomish last Saturday and they were having some sort of rally there in Index on not changing the N/F to a "Wild and Scenic River". This is the first that I have heard about that happening. It seems strange that on all the web sites that I go to about fishing that you read nothing about this. If they get their way,that would close all that area to anything outdoorsy. Just a thought.

Jim;(

·
"Chasing Riseforms"
4,977 Posts
You might check into the history of the WalMart that was built north of Bremerton on Wheaton Way. They nearly destroyed a small creek known as Steele Creek. A little history for your defense might help. Probably can get some newspaper history from the Bremerton Sun Newspaper. This was only in the last 2 years or so.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
just to clarify- if the nf sky is made into wilderness, outdoorsy stuff will definately be allowed, no new roads, logging, or other invasive practices that hurt fish though... it should be supported

·
Registered
316 Posts
To give example to TomB's comments, The Farmington River in Connecticut is a great example of this. Designated a Wild and Scenic River in 1995, it is now one of the best trout streams in that state, if not the entire region, with a large Fly Fishing Only section in the Trout Management Area. It was strongly supported by the Farmington River Angler's Association. Being designated Wild and Scenic prevents development, not recreational fishing. As Dr. Carl Sierkacki said "...a stream without stewards will perish. A stream with passive keepers will be at best mediocre; those waters that have strong and vital protectors will grow and flourish."

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
The Dungeness has a ton of problems. It's located next to Sequim, a shameful disgrace of American sprawl. No planning at all, it's sort of a mini-Los Angeles. And it's growing with no end is sight.
Port Townsend, on the other hand, has fought growth tooth and nail. They want to be an historic American city, small and rather rural with old fashinoned values. Quiet, quaint and comfortable. Is there anything wrong in this?
Well, according to the developers, they are all a bunch of communists, hippies, druggies, and rich boys who are living off of daddy's trust fund. Even though these people are much malilgned, they hold their ground and Port Townsend looks pretty much today as it did twenty years ago.
Not so Sequim. It is a developers delight and there is no end in sight. They need water to grow. They will pollute the river as they grow. They probably will have houses all along the river itself.
This will be a tough fight to stop the Wall Marts, the K-Marts, the Atom Bomb Marts. It's the same fight one sees everywhere these days.
If only we could move Sequim to Port Townsend and P.T. to Sequim, the river would be saved. Not likely.
bob:bawling

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Puget Sound Chinook and Hood Canal Summer chum are both listed as Threatened under the ESA. Wal Mart, the developer, AND the City of Sequim will all have to jump through several hoops to get this done. The Dungeness is also a Type-1 water, a "shoreline of the state," and so will be governed under the State Shorelines Management Act and Growth Management Act, and the federal Clean Water Act. They should also have to prepare an Environmental Impact Statements under the National Environmental Policy Act and the State Environmental Policy Act. When NMFS approves all the ESA Permits, THEY should have to do an EIS.

Of course, as these things usually go, all those will likely be treated as formalities for the fate accompli of the development. Your strategy should be to harrass them at every turn, force all players to cross every T and dot every I. Make it such an expensive nightmare for them that they decide Sequim doesn't seem so attractive after all. You likely won't win, but you can maybe stall it for a few years, or maybe force a precedent-setting concession. Contact organizations like Sierra Club, American Rivers, the Washington Environmental Council, People for Puget Sound, Washington Trout, and Trout Unlimited (national; don't waste your time with the state council).

And I hate to put too fine a point on it, but get a lawyer, and start raising money. :hmmm

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Well said, Ray,

I like your positivism which unlike my own jaded, rather defeatist attitude (I'm 66), is so much more refreshing.
On a political note, we have been so bombared for years about how government is so full of restrictions imposed by "Big Government" and its bureaucrats that private enterprise just can't do its thing.
In this case, private enterprise should not be alowed to do its thing, and we have government regulations as our only hope of stopping the Wallmongers from stomping all over the grass.
The Olympic Peninsula has many problems, the biggest of which is growth. The hood bridge just can't stand any more traffic unless new spans are created. With the Iman, this is doubtful. The Pen. can't stand much more traffic anywhere unless the quality of life is to be lowered here.
That quiet spot across the Sound will just become the Oakland of San Francisco. Never cared much for the Raiders; guess I'll just have to move again.
But first, I'll put my body where my mouth is, and when the MegaMarters come to town, I'll throw myself beneath the tracks of the first bulldozer. Not a bad end for a man who has fought for conservation his whole life.
Maybe a "Save Bob" campaign will be launched.
Bob
:rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dungeness River Threatened, Sequim Gazette Survey. Vote Now

Everyone must know that this isn't a done deal by a long shot. The group Sequim First will take this to court. Gig Harbor and hundreds of other towns across the nation have fought and won on just things like traffic and property values. They have retained their charm and unique status... they are now the desired places to live and visit. Sequim first is contacting many other groups for help in protecting this unique and beautiful river. The Sequim gazette is conducting a survey so if you would like to take a few moments to help, go to http://www.sequimgazette.com/ and vote at the top right of the web page. Everyt little bit helps and you can be the bean counters are watching every move. http://www.sequimfirst.org/ for more info, thanks!

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Dungeness River Threatened, Sequim Gazette Survey. Vote Now

I shuddered when I saw the results so far on this poll. We'll have a tough time what with all those old farts up there like me. But I fish a lot. They love to shop. Nothing else to do.
If everyone on this site took a second (literally, it only takes a second), we could out vote them two to one or more. Only one hundred folks voted for Walmart. Surely, we can beat that. Come on; punch a key or two!
Bobo:beathead

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dungeness River, Sequim Gazette Survey, your votes are working, need more

Thanks Bob, our request for votes are showing a nice result. I recently talked to several about this issue and they said there is a good chance that it can be stopped so let's keep at it. Is everyone aware of Gov. Locke's commitment to Salmon recovery? Take a look here. http://www.governor.wa.gov/gsro/default.htm It would certainly be helpful if some readers of this could send some comments about the Dungeness River issue to the Gov. Locke about this. Have a good one.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dungeness River, Sequim Gazette Survey, your votes are working, need more

Bob, Thanks for all of the help and responses. I'm off to Sequim for a week of vacation and to help with this issue. I won't be posting much for a while so if you could keep it alive it would be great. We are getting a lot of interest from many groups. Orvis mentioned an issue with a Home Depot with the Letort river in Pennsylvania. They had to put in a very comprehensive stormwater runoff system. Apparently, superheated runoff is just as critical to trout as pollution. If you can thik of any other groups to inform, please do. Even if this development can't be run out of town, at least we will make them do it right. www.sequimfirst.org will have updates as needed. Thanks again everybody.

·
Not Quite A Luddite, But Can See One From Here
1,433 Posts
Dungeness River, Sequim Gazette Survey, your votes ...

RiverFishing

All...
Just wanted to say I added my vote (#304). Good luck...certainly willing to do more.

Mike :thumb

·
Rebel, Truth Seeker
112 Posts
It's sad to hear that another river is endangered. Next thing you know they'll be twenty subdevelopments with names like "Salmon Valley" or "Sockeye Village" along the side of it.

That link to vote keeps telling me I already voted. I'll try again later.

I'll try and send this story to the paper in Puyallup and also I used to konw a gal who was editor for a small paper in tacoma, I'll see if I can get in touch with her and see if she's interested in the story.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Dungeness River, let's work on the media, local and national

Great. Sending stories to the papers will be a great help. Several have been send already but it may take several to get their attention. Can someone try the Seattle paper? It helps if you know someone? A contact at Nat Geo has been sent the story. Let's see what happens. Does everyone see what the Sequim gazette did? They split the "NO" into two choices. Was this inteneional? We did notice that in the first hour, there were way to many votes for "Both". Pass the word for more votes. Your internal cookie file prevents the same computer from voting more than once. There is some new guidelines on stormwater runoff in the future but it will take a while. Well, I'm off to Sequim today. Can't wait to move up to the PNW. Take care.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.