Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I checked the flows on the Gunpowder (which is 35 minutes from my house) and decided that they were too high (over 300 cfs and fishes best at around 200 cfs) based on the info that I got from the girl at Backwater Anglers Fly Shop in Monkton. Made a decision to explore the "BHC", which I found out was the Big Hunting Creek (which is 56 miles from home) when I stopped in at the Bass Pro Shop in Hanover, Md. 1st time in a Bass Pro shop and man is that store huge! They did have a very nice fly shop and golf shop. Didn't check out any of the bait or hardware chucker's section. Picked up some flies that the guy there in the Orvis shop suggested, as he said he was just up there over the weekend.

The flows were really low on the BHC. Never touched or saw a fish and only found 2 -3 pools that even looked like they might hold a fish. I checked out most every pull out along Rt. 77 in the fly fishing only "catch & release" section. I've got a lot to learn about Maryland streams and where the fish hold and how they take flies. I did manage to pick up a garbage bag full of trash so maybe my fishing "karma" on the east coast will improve.

Day off again tomorrow, so may have to check out another stream around here.

Greg in Maryland

"In our family, there is no clear
line between religion and fly
fishing" Norman Maclean

·
Registered
777 Posts
Good to hear a report about the East Coast Greg! Try the Savage River in Maryland for some nice rainbows, if you're up for a bit more of a drive, head down to the Charlottesville area in Virginia and check out the Rapidan Wildlife Management Area. Beautiful native brookies. Any of the streams in the park fish well (over 60 that contain trout), my favorite is the Rose River, although it get's pounded by gear guys in the lower section just below the park. Hike as far as you can upstream and then hike some more :)

Another spot you must fish while you're out there is Mossy Creek in Virginia, not too far depending on where in MD you're at. It's a beautiful spring creek meandering through a cattle pasture. It's public water, but you have to obtain a permit to fish it (they regulate the number of rods per day, which is good, because it's a small crick). You can obtain the permit from the fly shop in Harrisburg, and can apply via mail to avoid driving all the way down there and having it full.

Also, there is some great fishing in the George Washington National Forest, on the West side of I-80, which isn't that far from Maryland.

If you're into smallmouth, the Patomac is a world class fishery. I've also had some great days sight casting to catfish, believe it or not, at the park west of DC on the VA border where we used to rock climb (been a while, name escapes me).

Another area to check out if your in for the drive is to head north and fish the limestone creeks in Pennsylvania. Unfortunately I haven't spent enough time in this area to be able to give you exact spots, but there are plenty of fly shops, and some really great fishing.

Thanks for the report!

worldanglr
http://www.worldanglr.com/
http://www.patagonia-expedition.org/

Many men fish their entire lives without ever knowing it is not the fish they are after.

- Henry David Thoreau

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the heads up on other waters to scout out. I'm about 15 miles SW of Baltimore but Maryland isn't very big so getting around isn't a problem. I plan on getting over to the west side of the state soon for the Savage, Youch and North Fork of the Potomac. I was up in Central Pa 4 weeks ago during all our rain and plan on getting to Harrisburg, Pa to fish the streams around there as time off from work permits.

I'll let you know how it goes!

Greg

fishing" Norman Maclean

·
Metolius
29 Posts
Ah, fishing near D.C. I lived in D.C for two years and sought out numerous rivers to fish in Maryland.

Greg, I hope you don't give up on Big Hunting Creek. The Maryland Department of Fish and Wildlife (or whatever they are called), stocks some very large fish in there. I fished there one afternoon/evening in 2000. There is a great strech of water after the steep stretch of road but below the lake. It's across from the main parking lot for the hiking trails. The water is pretty slow and fishing is technical, but if you stand back from the bank you can see the trout cruising in the pools. You have to be pretty discreet (crouch down, don't get in the water) but I have never had more violent takes from trout. They absolutely exploded on dry flies presented to the far bank. I managed two rainbows (both of whom taped out at 20 inches) as well as one brown and one brookie (the largest I have ever caught). Now, these are stocked fish but for a river that is no more than 20 feet across and close to Baltimore/DC it's pretty good.

I spent a lot of time on the Gunpowder. It deteriorated over the time I was there due to poor water management but it fishes well in the fall, winter, and summer. The Youch and Savage are both great bets as well. It's a long drive but you can hit them both in the same day. On the Youch, just watch out for the releases from the dam. They come without warning and the river rises very fast.

One other place to try is the Patuxent river. Small fish but close to DC/Baltimore/Columbia. Also, check out the Mid-Atlantic Budget Angler. It is a great resource for the rivers of Maryland and Virginia.

Best of luck.

M

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not giving up on any of the streams /rivers around here. Just like it took me a while to learn the Yakima, I'll put my time in learning these.

Thanks!

Greg

fishing" Norman Maclean

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
You might try dropping in at Tochterman's Tackle in Baltimore. I was there last summer. It's in the northern fringes of Fell's Point. It's a smallish shop that's not strictly flyfishing, but the manager, Gene Kane, is certainly a flyfisher. Gene is a very nice and honest man. He was the guy who convinced me to choose the less expensive TFO 4-piece 8wt over the more expensive 5-piece 8wt Redington Wayfarer. We demo'ed both rods in the alleyway next to the shop. Gene has one hell of a smooth, long-distance, mega-bombing side-cast. :eek I highly recommend visiting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.