Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I checked the flows on the Gunpowder (which is 35 minutes from my house) and decided that they were too high (over 300 cfs and fishes best at around 200 cfs) based on the info that I got from the girl at Backwater Anglers Fly Shop in Monkton. Made a decision to explore the "BHC", which I found out was the Big Hunting Creek (which is 56 miles from home) when I stopped in at the Bass Pro Shop in Hanover, Md. 1st time in a Bass Pro shop and man is that store huge! They did have a very nice fly shop and golf shop. Didn't check out any of the bait or hardware chucker's section. Picked up some flies that the guy there in the Orvis shop suggested, as he said he was just up there over the weekend.

The flows were really low on the BHC. Never touched or saw a fish and only found 2 -3 pools that even looked like they might hold a fish. I checked out most every pull out along Rt. 77 in the fly fishing only "catch & release" section. I've got a lot to learn about Maryland streams and where the fish hold and how they take flies. I did manage to pick up a garbage bag full of trash so maybe my fishing "karma" on the east coast will improve.

Day off again tomorrow, so may have to check out another stream around here.

Greg in Maryland

"In our family, there is no clear
line between religion and fly
fishing" Norman Maclean

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the heads up on other waters to scout out. I'm about 15 miles SW of Baltimore but Maryland isn't very big so getting around isn't a problem. I plan on getting over to the west side of the state soon for the Savage, Youch and North Fork of the Potomac. I was up in Central Pa 4 weeks ago during all our rain and plan on getting to Harrisburg, Pa to fish the streams around there as time off from work permits.

I'll let you know how it goes!

Greg

fishing" Norman Maclean

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not giving up on any of the streams /rivers around here. Just like it took me a while to learn the Yakima, I'll put my time in learning these.

Thanks!

Greg

fishing" Norman Maclean

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.