Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
previously micro brew
4,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from a 3 dayer in E. WA. Did okay, not great. Two of us had (30) fish on Fri. and only (15) on Saturday, after a very long day. Sunday was a bust, wind, wind and more wind.
Just wanted to say that the water temp is still rather high, 61-63 degrees and the fish are really stressed.(Although, I heard Dry Falls fished very well on Saturday, probably because it is a deeper and cooler.) Tended to be rather skinny and very little fight. If you go, land them quick and get them back in the H2O as fast as possible. We caught them on a real mixed bag - bead heads, WB's, small drys (18 & 20), soft hackle, dry damsels. Incredible watching those guys launch after the ovipositing dragonflies! There were quite a few chronie fishermen out there, they did rather poorly. Give it a couple of weeks and keep an eye on E. WA temps.

"The fish is not so much your quarry as your partner."
Arnold Gingrich

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I'm assuming you went to Lenice? When my wife and I went there 2 weeks ago the wind soooo powerful there was 2ft swells! We only had about 2 hrs of calm winds and that was it. Is there a way you can tell in advance if the winds there will be blowin' hard or not? I'd hate to drive there 3 hrs again to find out 30 mph winds for most of the day. Nov.31 is the last day...

"Follow Me and I will make you fishers of Men"
Matthew 4:19

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
The previous weekend, I was out at Dry Falls Lake and also saw a few rainbows leaping out of the water at the dragonflies. It was like the trout were doing their imitation of Flipper. By the way, the lake was doing fairly good, but I believe there was the similar situation of water temperature stressing the fish. Morning was better for vigor, while the afternoon brought up lethargic fish that took a long time to revive.

·
previously micro brew
4,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SC57:
Wasn't Lenice, but I'm sure that it got hammered too. We had a strong headwind all the way back to the pass. I'm not sure how much the weather report would help, a lot can happen in three hours. At least it could give you an idea on what is expected.
Three day trips are nice since you have a chance of at least fishing a day or two. We did a couple of three days over to Nunnally in the spring and were blown of the lake at least one day each trip.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had a chance to fish Nunnaly this past sunday. The wind built gradually over the day and reached a good 30mph or more; made staying upright walking back to the rig with my pontoon strapped to my back a challenge. The fishing was steady with good luck on streamers early and dry damsel/dragons later as the wind pushed me along the shore. The thing that impressed me was the size of the fish, several 20+ inch fish caught and more ldr. The fish did not show any sign of being stressed and made good sport. Maybe the wind keeps the water oxygenated well! I hope to hit it again before the close. :HAPPY

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.