Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
headed over to the eastside on friday morning with the hopes of finding some new ducks and a bunch of quail for my dog. We arrived a little late on friday morning but i still set up for ducks and was dissapointed when i spent a couple hours in the marsh and saw 10-15 mallards total. Lots of geese, but it wasnt a goose day so they got the pass. Bailed out from that spot and headed south scouting and looking for some more ducks. The wind started to blow a bit so I went and set up at a new location for the afternoon. Nothing much flew for the first hour but then I started to see a slow trickle of ducks milling around and my buddy came out and joined me for the last 2 hours of shooting light. Once the rain hit us the birds started to move in good numbers and we managed 10 before it got too dark.
Saturday morning we started out in search of ducks but quickly decided to hunt quail instead. Madison (my dog) has been pouting as of late due to my hunting the westside for geese and not taking her upland hunting. So we spent most of the morning saturday chasing quail and pheasants. i think we ended up with 7 quail and a rooster. As well as 6 ducks we were able to jump on some sloughs.
Sunday i set up for ducks in the morning and with the wind blowing 20mph the birds were flying. Very difficult to work them into the decoys but around 10 I managed to finish out my limit with a bull pintail. 5 mallards and 2 pinnies for the day.
Tough weekend of hunting and I sure hope some new ducks show up soon.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Where are the pictures!? Might head out for afternoon ducks...although I vowed to never go back to this lake...I'm hoping the father son duo are morning people only! Now the question is "flyer or no flyer"? J or V setup? 12 or 48 deeks?

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
depends on the situation. what is a flyer?
set your decoys in 2 groups with a pocket in the middle. Many variations on this and how it will be set up depending on location and wind. right now i would go with 48 unless you are hunting a small pond. If the weather is still(doesnt look like it at the moment) I would also run a jerk cord to get some movement.
give me a call or shoot me a PM
d

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.