Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't usually promote fishing gear,especially rods.Everyone has their preferences and loyalties. I get that.Cant help myself with this one. I own numerous Echo rods with my Echo3 the favorite. However my go-to winter rod for large water in Montana has been the original Ion-10'6wght.This rod certainly is on the heavy side but I have found it very versatile and durable.No need to fuss with it.When Rajeff decided to improve this rod by making it 20% lighter I had to bite.This rod is BOMBER. I consider this rod to be the closest twin to my Sage XP, my favorite rod ever.The XL is a great nymphing rod,throws a sink-tip two sizes larger but has yet to prove itself with big dries.The reel seat I will concede is a down grade from the original model but overall Rajeff has done it again....for less money.If you like the Echo line this one is worth checking out.
Just wish they hadn't discontinued their blue trucker cap from last year.:(:)

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
I had the ten foot older version. Definitely getting this rod when I have the chance.

Reactions: Methow

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Been reading good things on this rod. Never mentioned the reel seat being different quality.... what did they change?
The reel seat is your generic black with marginal threading....I jammed the collars initially but pay attention now.the seat on the original functioned fine but looked better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.