Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance. 

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
"Fish-On" Custom Fly Rods
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting to plan for my summer fishing get away. I was thinkng about a DIY float fishing trip on the Elk river in July for the native black spotted cutts. I also understand that there is a good run of spawning Bull trout during the same time period. I have never fished in BC before and was wondering about the permit costs for us folks south of the border.. Thanks in advance for any info..:cool:

·
Registered
59 Posts
I make several trips up to BC each year, so I'm pretty familiar with the license fees up there. As a non-resident alien, the shortest term license (8 days) will cost you about $52.50 CDN which is around $49 US at today's exchange rates. On top of that, the Elk is listed as one of BC's "Class II" waters, so an additional fee of $20 CDN per day will be tacked on for each day you fish the Elk.

WF

·
Registered
197 Posts
I was in the area for work this last year and asked a local I was working with about the river. He said that the fishing was good but as a non-resident that I would need a guide to fish the river since it was class II water. You may want to contact the fly shop in Furnie about the conditions and requirements.

Ed

·
Registered
91 Posts
Only class 1 water require guides for non resident, you will be charged 25 bucks a day to fish "the Elk and tribs" for a class 2 water daily permit.

Great fishing for westslope cutthroat, try the Hosmer to Fernie drift very fishy section. You will have a blast bring a 3wt for cutts and a 6/7 for bulls.

"Home Waters" fly shop is the best one in Fernie to deal with the guys are straight shooters.

·
Registered
215 Posts
There are three great rivers. The Elk is the best known. The other two are the St Mary and the Bull. I fished all three with guides several years ago. Given the sections I floated, the St Mary and the Elk are DIY rivers. Think I would use a guide on the Bull.

My favorite is the Bull. Smaller fish than the Elk but more plentiful and situated in an uninhabited steep sholdered valley. Just beautiful in every way.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I did my first trip to the area last year , and I`ll be going back again this year .
The Bulls won`t be spawning in July , as they`re a Char . I only got into a few smaller Bulls last year , but I was`nt targeting them . And the cutties were too much fun . All on dries .

* The classified stamp will set you back $20.00 per day , and are water and date specific . That is , your stamp for the St. Mary will only be valid for that system , on that particular day . You cannot fish the St. Mary in the a.m , and then fish the Elk in the p.m with just the one stamp . It`s a hassle , and a rip-off , but the area is beautiful , and the fishing can be outstanding .

Enjoy your trip .

·
Registered
91 Posts
That is , your stamp for the St. Mary will only be valid for that system , on that particular day . You cannot fish the St. Mary in the a.m , and then fish the Elk in the p.m with just the one stamp . It`s a hassle , and a rip-off , but the area is beautiful , and the fishing can be outstanding .
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/licences/#ClassifiedWaters

Here is the classified waters license link, 20 bucks is the right price I thought it was closer to 25 but maybe that was after tax. I think 20 bucks a day is very fair, you want to talk expensive look into Gaspe. BC has very reasonable license fees. I would be happy to pay more as a resident if I had confidence the funds were goin back to the right place.

The St.Mary's is a fair ways from the Elk so fishing one in the AM and one in the PM would not make alot of sence anyways. Once you get a license for Elk and tribs you could easily kill a week on the mainstem and all of the great tribs that the Elk offers

·
Thirsty
27 Posts
We spent some time on the Elk last July, and the float above and below Fernie is a breeze.

Agree with Pat; Jeff and Spencer at Home Waters will set you up nicely. http://www.flyfishtheelk.com/index.html Short story; my buddy planned to buy a rod in Fernie, having lost his the week before on the Cedar. Jeff, who we'd met only minutes before, tosses him a Winston and says, 'Save your money, return it on your way out of town"... eight days later. Another short story; later in the trip, we got blown out of Alberta with 3 inches of rain... Crowsnest, Livingstone, Old Man, Racehorse... everything gone to mud. Other fly shops told us to go hit the bars. Called up Jeff and he found us clear water and plenty of fat trout within a half hour's drive.

You won't be disappointed. We're going back in July as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.