Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance. 

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
hardcore flyfishing addict
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have such wonderful memories of fishing Ell Lake. It was devastating to watch it turn into a mud puddle. With all the precipitation this year, is there ANY chance that the water table will rise enough to turn it back into a fishable lake? Has anybody who lives near there driven past it lately?

·
My anus sits on Aeneas
270 Posts
You talking of the Ell in the Aeneas Valley? If so, I might run up there in the next week or so and see. Curious myself, likely still frozen as many of the lakes in the area are.

·
Premium Member
7,341 Posts
I think Jim Wheeler lives within sight of the lake, you might PM him. Should Ell make a comeback it will be under siege. It is not a very big lake and would be over run pretty quickly once the word got out.

Remember the old WWII saying: "Loose lips sink ships." The same could be said for fly fishing: "Tattle Tails Terminate Trout".

·
Banned
1,626 Posts
I have such wonderful memories of fishing Ell Lake. It was devastating to watch it turn into a mud puddle. With all the precipitation this year, is there ANY chance that the water table will rise enough to turn it back into a fishable lake? Has anybody who lives near there driven past it lately?
The Ell Lake dilemma brought me to this forum with my first post. When Ell lake fills back up I will consider Global Warming on the decline and not before!

·
Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working
1,860 Posts
I could be wrong, but I think the man-caused global warming crowd predicts that the northwest will have warmer and WETTER winters. That is it. So if Ell fills back up it means man-caused global warming crowd was correct.

MY personal prediction on how to know IF man-caused global warming is real..........When Inslee starts TAXING Boeing instead of giving them BILLIONS in tax breaks.

No matter how the world ends....Boeing will be there playing a major role. There is enough scientific evidence that indicates they could be the MAJOR cause of observed global warming in the past couple of decades.

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
I think Ell lake would fill back up if so many people hadn't sunk wells nearby, using up all the groundwater. Ell lake and the others in Aeneas have no inlets and outlets, they depend on that groundwater. How much of that does each and every well around there use on a daily basis.

·
Justified
4,940 Posts
I think Ell lake would fill back up if so many people hadn't sunk wells nearby, using up all the groundwater. Ell lake and the others in Aeneas have no inlets and outlets, they depend on that groundwater. How much of that does each and every well around there use on a daily basis.
This is why Coffee Pot went down over the past few years. Now that they have built that new aquaduct (not sure it's exact location), the lake had had a chance to recover. I wonder if the south end will fill up again...

Reactions: Buzzy

·
1,860 Posts
This is why Coffee Pot went down over the past few years. Now that they have built that new aquaduct (not sure it's exact location), the lake had had a chance to recover. I wonder if the south end will fill up again...
Are they running water from the Columbia down Lake Creek these days?? That would change everything.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I think they did last year because before the March 1 opener the lake was low enough you couldn't use the boat launch the magically the lake was full. All I can say is scablands don't have a spring runoff.

·
Justified
4,940 Posts
Are they running water from the Columbia down Lake Creek these days?? That would change everything.
Not sure what you mean....

I ran into a farmer who'd been there for a bazillion years. He told me what was going on. Basically, there was a large dairy farm that was in the area, and the impact of its water needs we're sadly underestimated.

He told me about the aqueduct project. I have no idea where it's at. The meetings he attended assured the farmers, that it would bring relief to the area, and a couple years of good ground water water would restore things to normal. Uh... I'm not going to hold my breath. Two lakes in that area have completely dried up. They ain't ever coming back.

·
1,860 Posts
There was a proposal to take water out of the Columbia and run it by pipe to the upper end of Lake Creek and then let it flow down Lake Creek naturally. That would refill Coffeepot and several lakes. But the purpose of the project was to refill the acqufer in the area.

Did not know about the dairy farm and their use of water....wow.

·
Justified
4,940 Posts
There was a proposal to take water out of the Columbia and run it by pipe to the upper end of Lake Creek and then let it flow down Lake Creek naturally. That would refill Coffeepot and several lakes. But the purpose of the project was to refill the acqufer in the area.

Did not know about the dairy farm and their use of water....wow.
I like your idea better, or the one you mentioned anyway, lol.

I had no idea either, until that farmer told me about it. Then again, why would I have known?

That Creek use to have huge fish in it, before they started planting no reproductive fish. A guy could easily float a canoe down that creek in mid summer. Just goes to show how much development has gone on around there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.