Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Fish or Ski...Fish or ski....fish!
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My father in law was lucky enough to get a permit for the Enchantments in August. I've never been there and looking at the Green Trails Map, see there are lot's of lakes to fish. We will be doing day hikes Climbing and fishing from our base camp at Snow Lake. Are there any lakes that I "don't" want to waste my time at?

·
"Chasing Riseforms"
4,977 Posts
Keep going up to the Enchantment Lakes instead of staying at Snow Lake! It's heaven up there. I haven't fished it in a long time however. You might bring some mosquito repellent.... By the way, it is a grinder hike.

·
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya, that's what I heard, not looking forward to that part of it. Unfortunately our permit is for the Snow Lakes section.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Too bad you aren't able to stay higher. I think you can stay at Nada with that permit and that will place you nearer to the actual basin. Two years ago, we stayed at Snow the first day, then hiked through the Enchantment Basin, over Prussik Pass and down to Shields the next day. We caught tons of cutthroat on Royal Wulffs on that lake. Most are pretty small. Take some bacon fat, lemon and cornmeal and have a feast up there-it will be the best tasting fish you have ever eaten and the lakes are too overpopulated with stunted fish-you will be doing the fish a favor! We did catch fish in Snow as well, but the scenery and lack of bugs makes the Basin heaven. Check at the ranger station on the morning you hike in and you may be able to upgrade to a better permit. Rick

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
I was up there about 8 yrs. ago, I fished for about 30 mins in upper snow and caught little skinny brookies. Next morning we hiked to leprecan lake and camped there for a few nights. Great hikes and beautiful scenery. If you got the time climb little annapurna. The little fishing I did was good in Lep, elk hair caddis worked, anything buggy would probably work. You could see the cutts coming from below, like a missile, pretty easy fishing. Be prepared for a tough slog, one hiking book called it a " death march", but it's well worth it.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
It is definitely a hike that requires some training beforehand (I do 30-40 minutes 5 days a week on a tread mill, stair climber or bike followed by 30 minutes of weights and it was very easy to do with that level of trianing). It reminded me of some of my hikes in the Sierra Nevada minus the elevation. Not as hard as say Mt Ranier, or Mt Baker, but be prepared for a challenging hike! (BTW I was 60 when I did it last summer, so even old farts can get up that mountain!) Rick

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Rick, have you ever hiked in from Colchuck side? I heard it's shorter but steeper

·
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for everyone's tips. One more question. Being from Spovegas, I typically camp and hike in Idaho, so I know nothing about the enchantment area. We are planning on camping somewhere near the trailhead the night before so we can get an early start. Are there many areas along the road to camp?
Thanks again!
John

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
There are a couple forest service campgrounds along Icicle Creek very near the trailhead. Another thought is get a hotel in Levenworth or Wenatchee so you get a nice shower before the hike! Rick

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Ha Ha, Rick you are 60??? You got some guns in your profile pic with that monster fish. I would have figured in your 40's.
Thanks!:) Like I said, I do work out most every morning, and the older I get the more thankful I am that I started that habit in my 30! (also, most of my skiing, backpacking and bird hunting partners are 20 years younger than me, so I have to be in shape to keep up!) Rick

·
Mmmmm, beach.
14 Posts
It's all about the upper basin. Also, I prefer the hike in and out from the Colchuck side. The trail down through Snow Lakes is two miles longer and somewhere around an additional 2000 vertical. Whichever way you look at it... the other people on this thread are right, it's not a cakewalk.

I've had great fishing in Talisman Lake, fish off the rocks on the south end of the lake. I saw good size 10 inch bows in that lake... considerably larger than the average. Nymph down into the darker water with tiny flashy patterns. Size 16-18 dry flies worked in the early morning and evening, you'll see fish rising all over the place. Also try the SE corner of Rune Lake, near the island.

Have fun!

·
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks again for all the comments, I just thought of one thing regarding camp sites and wanted to know what the thoughts were. Being one of the busiest times for the area, and us arriving Saturday, what are the chances those campsites will be full?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.