Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,025 Posts
Great topic. With the rivers opening up soon, etiquette on the water is a huge part of the game. First off, Low holing, Don't do it, ever! Unless the person is a member of team rugged, then, and only then, low hole the hell out of 'em. If you come apon a good stretch of water that someone is already fishing, wait your turn. Go to the head of the run and take a break. After the angler has moved down far enough(casting range), enter the water. I could go on for pages, but I won't. Second, If drifting from a boat, Give waders the right of way, Don't cast into the water in front of them as you drift by. Same go's for waders, if a boat is pulled up in a hole, don't assume you can fish the same water from the bank. Ask first. When I fish with my buddies, we Ro-sham-bo(rock, paper, sissors) for first cast. The loser waits his turn for the winner to move down. I usually let the person get 10-15 casts before I enter the water and fish. Damn, I could go on and on and on. I'll let someone else pick up where I left off and add some tips. YT :smokin

· Registered
1,025 Posts
"when we were fishing the N/Fork Stilly you almost sat in my lap"

That's because you were resting on the bank. It was so rocky that I thought it would be nice and comfy to sit on you.}( :p

Sorry Jim, I couldn't resist. I bet were all guilty at one time or another. It's sort of different when your with your buddies, but that doesn't make it right. One time on the NF, I gave Rowdy a tongue lashing for low holing some guys. BUT, we can all do better and at least make an effort to respect other anglers. I think people just don't know any better, I've been guilty too. How bout a qoute, "do unto others, as you would like them to do unto you" hows that???

I'll say this, etiquette is essential on a beauty of a river like the NF stilly. So much history and lore, the old timers still get out, and I'll be damned if I see the crap that gos on on other rivers, like the Sky. If you fish this water and don't obey the code, expect a tongue lashing, and not just from me. I didn't make the rules...........I'm not saying this only about the NF, but it is a special place, so just obey the rules. If you like combat style, go to Reiter ponds. Damn, I hate my soap box. YT :smokin

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.