Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

· resident lurker
131 Posts
I know i've been on the ignorant side of fly fishing etiquette before. My first year fly fishing, a friend and i were going after steelhead on the Grande Ronde. There was a whole line-up of guys on a big hole, so this friend and i just went a bit downstream and damn near waded out to the middle of the river. Pretty soon all those guys were gone, and we thought "hey, cool!".
Later on that day, a guide came up to us and started talking about the crap we'd done. He was very cool about it, seemed to know we were just dumb kids and all. Told us how steelheaders start at the top of a hole and rhythmically work down, and we'd probably spooked every fish those guys were after. I guess we pissed off a bunch of people that day. He gave us tips on flies to use and even gave my friend a steelheading magazine he had in his car. Much thanks to that guy.
I do have a specific etiquette question about float-tubing, though. Fishing at Lenice a while back, we'd all picked out our little spots along the North shore as usual. I hooked into a nice fish, and had to follow him around a bit before i brought him to the net. When i turned around to get back to my "spot", some other guy was paddling right into the exact place i had hooked this fish. Now, i'm assuming that's kinda impolite and i wouldn't do it to someone else. Wouldn't this go against the "etiquette" we're referring to? Unless there's some unspoken rule about your hole being fair game if a fish pulls you away from it...
I didn't make a stink about it or anything, i just gradually made my way back as the guy moved on.
Just checking on this one, to make sure we're all on the same track here.
Darik:smokin

· Registered
1,112 Posts
I have been sitting back reading the 20+ posts taking note of what to do an not to do, and figured reading was the best education. However, last night (finally get the wife to grant permission to take a break from a hellish bathroom remodel)hit Squalicome Lake ("small" lake 20 min. from Bellingham)around 5 pm. First off...this lake is my 20 min. escape from a boring day behind a computer or a nighmare house project, and for the most part is never crowded (maybe three to four other anglers). I unlocked my canoe and loaded my gear and shoved off with my wife 100 yards from the take out. Not more than 15 min. later two guys in an alluminum pram row within 20' of my canoe! Banging oars/slapping water/and "ooo cast there"...oooo cast over there"! I didn't say anything, however, my wife sitting reading a book looks up and says "what's up with those guys...arn't they a little close?" My remedy...I changed my position and made sure my backcasts were "zapping" over their heads...they did eventually move.

I just wish I had a size 2 articulated leach...might have to tie up a few with tremble hooks and put them in a new box just for those few moments when the "opposing angler bite comes on"!

· Not Quite A Luddite, But Can See One From Here
1,433 Posts
RiverFishing

That was probably just one of your vegan, tree-huggin', hippie-type, closet PETA-supporter columnists from Boston.
Your restraint was admirable!

Mike;)

· Just an Old Man
35,201 Posts
I used to know it all---but now I forgot it all.

If your as new to this type of fishing as you say,you should just check out Fortson Hole on the N/F Stilly on opening day of winter steelhead fishing. They are shoulder to shoulder casting lures. And the lures are not the small ones. A real ZOO. I think the same goes for Reiter Ponds. They've even gone to gun play there. No,if I get on a river and there are more than three people there I will leave. I like peace and quiet,because if anybody is going to be rowdy it's going to be me.

Jim

· Retired Mod
10,990 Posts
Actually, I know alot about guiding. Almost went into the business. But, opted for a more secure and better paying job at UPS. Know at 50 I can retire with enough money to easily pay for fishing until I die.

But, I do know alot of guides. Some through my job, some through my side job in fishing industry, and some that are friends. So I am good about dealing with them. But some guides think they are GOD because they have a license on their boat and clients in the boat. Though, it is their job, it does not mean they have any more right to fish then the rest of us do. If by chance someone is in a slot before them and working it, they have two choices. Go around, or wait and work behind them. Too many expect you to pull aside and let them have the right of way. I know I don't own the rivers I fish. But on some rivers, I've easily put more riverdays on some then the guides (since some I know usually fish Cow tribs unless they blow and head to the Chehalis system). This guy was one of the Cow regs. I was there first. I was working the slot. And he camped in hole slot. I don't give any leeway. If you show me respect, you get respect. You slam me, you get slammed back. His arrogance cost his client their fish. I know after that slot in front of my Dad's place, you have to work the next two holes hard before you hit sled alley. He was SOL after that.

Myself, I give the bankers the choice. Since I do both. If they say I can fish through, I do. If they say I can't, I smile and float through. Rarely go behind, unless guys won't move and going in front will get me in firing range of bankers (there are bankers who will cast as you go by, a hook in a cataraft isn't a good thing). I give them the option. I'm very courteous on the river, but I've found more in other end. Especially new guys who think they own the world. I know years on a river doesn't make you own it any more then someone new. But there is a respect issue. Especially when they are screwing up a slot for other. Prime example. End of winter run last March had a good run on the Nooch. Some moron had to launch quick, and give me a dirty look when I came in behind him and had my cataraft in the water as quick and setup as fast as him (I do alot of prep work BEFORE I get to the river). He ran down from truck and headed down to the first good slot (awesome plug slot, and good side drift slot). What does guy do? He anchors IN the slot and casts onto the opposite bank (where it shallows up where most people would pull their boat out). Was no fish there, since it was shallow gravel. He ruined a good slot by his ignorance. Then, he had nerve to look at my friends as they cast under his DB as we drifted by. We even pulled out a nice fish under him (since he was parked in the slot). He actually got mad, though he wasn't even fishing the slot. They were casting on the bank, and not getting much of a drift at that since it was OUT of the current. Not first time I've seen stuff like this. Especially guys working slots that are bad producers. Just tiring to be given the evil eye when you're doing things right, and they're not.

· resident lurker
131 Posts
Right on, Jim. I did actually go to one or both of those places a few years ago, my first season fly fishing. i gave up steelheading after that year just for for those reasons. That's just no damn fun. Steelhead season's my favorite time to go trout fishing.:)

· Registered
2,866 Posts
Here's a corker and it's true to the letter. I was fishing the Gunnison River in Colorado when I was 18.
My friend was a huge man, yet mild tempered.
We groaned as this raft of two kids (our age) came down the river. But we didn't say anything, just let them pass down the center of our hole.

So then they start chucking rocks at us, not stones, but rocks, the kind that could kill you. It was the wrong thing to do. We not only fired back but we chased after them. The RR tracks on which we just chased them followed the river and were well above them and it's tough to throw uphill. We threw together because they were using their paddles to fend off our bombs. Two missles hurtling at the speed of light must have been very worrysome for them.

We spotted them again down in the canyon and Gene had his 30/06 in his truck. He took it out and he told me he was going to kill them. I told Gene to wait until I got way up the road because I didn't want to be any part of this. He said OK they could live but that he was going to scare the bejammers out of them. With that, he put three ten foot high plumes just in front of their bow. What did they do? They gave us the finger. Was there something in all of this that I was missing? I mean I came for fun, not murder. But what about the boys in the raft? What did they come for? Still wondering.
Bob:dunno

· Registered
1,112 Posts
You just reminded me of a horrible moment on a River in Michigan...back in my noodle rod and "barrel sinker" days!

Picture shoulder to shoulder guys drifting flies, therefore, the whole process of casting is based upon when the guy downstream casts...tripping the domino affect.

Well one very drunk individual could not manage to understand this...and constantly hooked into the guys next to him...which every single time he blamed them (I was one of them). Well he picked a very over weight/non-combatant to harrass and yell at to the right of him...I wisely moved down to the unproductive water. Anyways few minutes later this guy is screaming "you fat a$$...you hooked me again!..bla blaa blaaa...if you do it again I'm going to kick your a$$"! Well it happened and this idiot was all over this poor man, drunk guy even had a friend that was trying to calm him down (didn't work). This guy throws his rod down brings this poor guy to the ground amongst all these people (which obviously were more shocked as to what the hell was going on than thinking of helping)...when all of a sudden this guy grabs a rock and is about to smash the guys head with it! I never saw four guys move that quick with waders before in my life! Needless to say drunk guy probably received a few bashings while being piled on...it gives me the heebeejeebees thinking it could have been me if I had stuck around!

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.