Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally! I got the upperhand at Rattlesnake Lake. Arrived at the lake in the early afternoon. Water surface temp seemed in the mid to lower 60's, depending on your location. Some swimmers commented that the bottom (in the shallows) was very cold. The Tree Farm shallows were definitely in the high 60's. Started out fishing a red, black tail/hackle b-head bugger. No results, though fishfinder marked fish on or a few feet above the bottom in 17 ft of water. Eventually lost the bugger on a snag. Tried lots of sub-surface tactics with sinking lines to no result.

Around 4 or 5:00, fish began to rise. Didn't realize this until close to 6:00. :( Losts of drowning flying carpenter ants, but it wasn't obvious fish were targeting these. Eventually, I moved into the forming shadows on the westside of the lake when it was obvious fish were consistently rising there. Definite hatch going on there, but still couldn't tell what the fish were targeting. Lots of very splashing rishes, some leaping like dolphin, and some gulpers. Noticed some micro-mayflies (#22), as well as larger ones (#16-14?). Too much cr*p everywhere in the air and water. :beathead Switched to dry presentation and tried some emerger and cripple patterns that received no attention. Meanwhile, Margaret, already sunburned, hungry, and tired, has been fading off closer and closer to the boat launch after having suggested we go. :eek We had originally agreed to leave around 6:00, and it was already way past. Like past 7:00. :eek

Finally--and I mean finally--after hating myself for ignoring my woman in the face of the rise activity (and hating her :eek for "bailing" on me), I tied on my one and only Crackleback (#14 hook, yellow dubbing and brown hackle). Since I had left behind my floatants, :beathead I might have looked for a pattern that would have a good chance on floating on its own, or I might have grabbed it out of sheer desperation, :bawling or I might have wisely keyed in on the impression of legs (when floating high) or tangled legs and wings (when floating low) made by the pattern. :professor As I had done before, I made a cast to a rise. Within three seconds, I saw the take! :beer1 So I'm shouting, "Yes, yes, yes, yes..." as I fight the scrappy trout. I net the pretty 12" silver-sided, greenbacked rainbow, still shouting, "Yes, yes, yes, yes..." I gently slip the hook, still shouting, "Yes, yes, yes, yes..." And the fish then swims through the wide mesh. "F**k!" I suddenly blurt as loudly as I had previously been saying, "Yes." Of course, I was hoping to show off fish to Margaret, but she was already halfway to the boat launch ("Apply side pressure and the fish will tire." :professor ). Oh well. I resign myself to the situation and semi-assured of my victory over Rattlesnake Lake, I begin to head out. BUT: "Whoa! Fish rising off the port quarter! Cast! Cast! Cast!" said the fishing part of the cerebral cortex. Fish ON! And another cash payment in greenback and silver. :smokin :beer2 I now had my proof of conquest of a lake that had consistently denied me in past years. :thumb It was only then I could leave and return to the side of my woman.

When I joined her at the truck, she wasn't as upset as I thought she might have been. When I explained my whole picture and the nature of my "victory," she was actually somewhat understanding. Am I lucky or what? :smokin

G

·
A wise sage once proclaimed "it's better to ask forgiveness than permission"...
At any rate, I can think of few things more dire than NOT casting to rising fish en route to anywhere...
Strong Work
:smokin

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.