Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hard to believe on this forum but I have a real question about fly fishing. Specifically, fly fishing lines. I'm looking at a floating line for a 5 weight reel and am considering Rio's In Touch Perception. Scientific Angler and Royal Wulff were some of my other considerations. I want a nice floating line. Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone fishing this line would chime in on it. Would you buy it again if you were in the market for a new line?

Thanks,
Mike

In keeping with the general vibe of the forum, I'll throw this on the end. I saw Swimmy walking around town the other day...and he wasn't wearing a shirt sleeve plaid shirt. There.

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
Good casting/feeling line, just plan on replacing it within a year.

Reactions: jake-e-boy

·
Registered
11,299 Posts
Just an FYI but there is a lot more to this forum than just the main fly fishing forum. Ya this one gets crammed full of nonsense but the saltwater, stillwater, fly tying etc sub forums are full of great reports and fishing related conversations.

As far as your question I'm sure that line will cast and fish just fine. I'm just at a point where I'm kinda through recommending Rio products.

·
1,696 Posts
I'm looking at a floating line for a 5 weight reel and am considering Rio's In Touch Perception. Scientific Angler and Royal Wulff were some of my other considerations. I want a nice floating line. Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone fishing this line would chime in on it. Would you buy it again if you were in the market for a new line?
I haven't used a line with their new in-touch core. I have heard it feels a little different to cast because of the lack of stretch. Not sure if that's true or not. If you haven't cast one before, see if you can find a shop that has one strung up for demo-ing (lawn casting) rods and try casting it to make sure it agrees with you.

I really like Rio's tapers and selections, but their coatings aren't the most durable. Just be warned. That said, I find them to have less memory/coil than a lot of other lines. I've had good luck with SA lines. Though I'm not a huge fan of the textured lines, which many of their lines are now. But that may be more of a personal thing. (I can't stand the noise, though they do shoot nicely.) If I was using it for streamers, a textured line would be 100% out of the question.

I have no experience with Wulff lines.

A lot of lines are over-weighted these days, and not advertised as such. With modern fast-action rods, that's fine (that is, in fact, the cause of the overweighting trend). But if you're using slower rods, glass, etc., you may want to make sure the line is truer to the AFTMA standards. (Rio's Gold would be an example of unadvertised overweighting and Rio's Grand would be an example of advertised.)

·
Banned
1,366 Posts
You might want to post what kind of rod you're planning to cast this line with. As you know, a so-called 5-weight line will have a variety of actual weights in grains depending on the brand or model. There are a lot of experts on this forum who might be able to tell you which would work best for that rod. Don't worry about the reel; within reason, the reel doesn't matter.

·
dirty dog
5,326 Posts
I have been using Rio fly lines for many years.
When I need to buy a new fly line I start looking for a close-out, last years model/brand name. Why pay top price???
I have purchased the top of the line, line to the least expensive line, line.
The thing that I notice from fishing RF for years is the line gets dirty and needs a good cleaning or it starts to sink, no matter how much you spend.
You do seem to get what you pay for, so I spend a little more for a better quality line.

·
Senior Moment
5,472 Posts
I have some Rio InTouch lines, and like the idea of more sensitivity, but not really a fan of how they feel in casting. And, not sure the no stretch is always a positive when setting the hook, but most of the time maybe. They probably last longer.

Wulff Triangle Tapers are nice casting and especially roll casting, but if you intend to throw large bugs or streamers, can be limiting.

I have one Perception line and don't really care for it, partly because it's InTouch.

I've always liked DT lines. IMO they cast (purely) and mend better than anything else. But fly line companies have to come up with "new and improved" or they wouldn't survive.

I like the Rio Gold quite a bit as an all purpose line. Lines with a bit more weight in front can throw a streamer when you want, can still mend fairly well, and can throw dries almost as delicately as a DT or Wulff TT if you pay attention to the delivery.

SA Expert Distance is a great all purpose line too. I also like the SA Steelhead Taper. It's much like the front 50 feet of a DT with a long back taper for mending and the long back tapers help on long casts.

While I love integrated shooting heads, it's for a purpose. For an all purpose trout line I prefer longer heads over short. Don't ever believe idiots that claim weight forward lines throw farther or better than DTs or long bellies. True, running line shoots better but a DT or any normal fly line section shoots almost as good. It makes at most a few feet of distance. Fly fishing isn't a distance game (usually).
Just 2 scents.

·
dead drifting into thread drift
5,755 Posts
Of the lines mentioned I'd get a Sci anglers mastery series but before that I'd find out who makes a good DT instead of a WF.
Ditto that.

I'm in the process of getting far far away from Rio. Luckily it's not taking too long since they don't seem to last.

Personally, I'm becoming a huge fan of Airflo, but that's just me.

As mentioned by others, I do love their tapers, just not the longevity.

As far as the Perception, I hated everything about it. 1st line I've ever used with my Steffen that 'she' didn't like...

·
Just an Old Man
35,199 Posts
Have you noticed that not one fly line works for everybody. I usually buy what my wallet lets me buy. Be it Rio or Cortland peach line, or anything else out there. I've gotten bad line from just about all who make them. I've had good luck with cheap lines and not so cheap lines.

But I had a bad experience with Rio Tapered leaders. Now I won't buy any leaders from them or tippet spools.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I definitely agree with Old Man, what works for me might not work for you.

That being said, I really like the Rio Perception, I use that on my 5wt and 3wt when I need a floating line. I've tried other lines from other brands that have a real similar taper and grain weight, and I just didn't like them as much. I've also tried a few other Rio lines (Gold, Grand), and found that I preferred the Perception. I don't know if I have just become used to the way the Perception casts/fishes or what, but I would buy it again.

I have had a welded loop blow out on a relatively new Rio line. Super easy to get Rio to send a replacement, though. I know Rio gets a bad rap for durability, but they stepped up and took care of me.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Rio sells marketing and image. Wulff and SA sell fly lines. I'd buy a fly line if it were me. The gpx by sa is a basic and nice line that's about a half weight heavy. The Wulff triangle taper is a smooth casting traditional weight line with finesse and roll casting abilities that are great. The offerings from airflo are great as well. There are many great lines these days.

·
Wishin I was on the Sauk
4,449 Posts
Rio sells marketing and image. Wulff and SA sell fly lines. I'd buy a fly line if it were me. The gpx by sa is a basic and nice line that's about a half weight heavy. The Wulff triangle taper is a smooth casting traditional weight line with finesse and roll casting abilities that are great.
Yes the GPX is a great alaround line!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.