Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Eyes to the sky...
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the interest of changing things up, Annie9330 and I are going to hit the beach and jetty in Westport for lings and rockfish. I've never done this, so I got a few ideas on flies from my local shop. I saw a thing in the Rio video about using speys overhand in the salt. (any kind of fishing can look cool if you show a badass Scottish dude doing it...) We're just going to head out there with rods, a grill and a sack full of lemons and butter. I know less than nothing about this type of fishing, so this trip may seem a bit optimistic given my track record for soul crushing skunking streaks, but fuck it. We're just going to go and try and figure something out. You can't win if you don't play. :thumb:

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
If I talk smack about your trip and the smell of skunk will you catch fish? I can smell the report already!

·
Eyes to the sky...
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hope you and Annie knock 'em dead Jason! Take some photos!
I will for sure. It should be a pretty good trip.

If I talk smack about your trip and the smell of skunk will you catch fish? I can smell the report already!
I don't know, bub. The prospect of new place/new technique/new species has me pretty revved up.:thumb:

·
Eyes to the sky...
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You could try the beach for surf perch as well
That is one of the things we'll be doing. With good conditions, we'll probably be 50/50 beach jetty. If it's pretty rough, and it looks like we'll be killed to death on the jetty, then we'll do more beach casting for perch. Any super top secret failproof 100% guaranteed to smack 'em flies you care to recommend? I'll keep it hush-hush. Just between you, me and the interwebs. I swear.

·
Custom Title
12,145 Posts
Have a good time . . . sounds like fun! I'd try that, but I live too durned far away and don't have an "Annie," . . . so I'll chase something around on the dry side of the state.

·
Eyes to the sky...
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll be tying tomorrow. I got a few ideas as far as flies and places go. The weather may be shit, though. I'm probably going to roll with my self inflating life jacket if its nasty. survival>pride

·
It's all about the sauce.....
551 Posts
Jason, There's a book by John Shewey, Northwest Fly Fishing - Trout and Beyond. He has a small chapter on Redtail Surfperch. Said their most favorite food is a 'Mole Crab", It's greyish, about an inch long and looks like a flea [sounds like a gigantic albino sand flea to me]. The fly he was using though is a "Surfpercher Red". Infact, I think I may have the book. If I do I'll scan some info for you if you're interested. Let me know.

·
Eyes to the sky...
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jason, There's a book by John Shewey, Northwest Fly Fishing - Trout and Beyond. He has a small chapter on Redtail Surfperch. Said their most favorite food is a 'Mole Crab", It's greyish, about an inch long and looks like a flea [sounds like a gigantic albino sand flea to me]. The fly he was using though is a "Surfpercher Red". Infact, I think I may have the book. If I do I'll scan some info for you if you're interested. Let me know.
Niiiiiiiiice! Good looking out, amigo. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

·
dirty dog
5,326 Posts
Sounds like a fun time ahead.
That sand flea pattern? try a scud pattern on a 10 or 8 scud hook in the color of the local sand fleas, tie it heavy with lead wraps around the hook shank.
Hell, even tie some on 4's and 6's
I love brain storming fly patterns.
Knock'em dead

·
Vegetarian Cannibal
131 Posts
I have used the surfpercher red with success lots of times. The thing about surf perch is it has almost nothing to do with what, and everything to do with where.

Where: is any place that you can find soft water 2' deep and deeper. Soft spots are places where the feed washing around in the surf will collect. Start at low tide looking for spits, rips, and depressions, then as the tide covers them fish them. If you find them you will catch them. Just cast into the buckets, strip fast, and mend your line over the waves. I like to wear a rain jacket belted over my waders for surf fishing. If it is blowing stay in the hotel. This is probably about the best time of the year to catch them, they should be congregating before spawning later this summer.

As far as rockfish go, I like white bunny leaches or simple big bucktail patterns on lines that sink really fast. Again, once you locate a school they are easy to catch. The hard part is finding a school of bass in a location that allows a back cast. You will do best to have a stripping bucket, but turn it around backwards before you take one step on the jetty. You have to watch every step there.

Good luck, when you get into a good rockfish or perch bite it can be flat-out amazing, and delicious later.

·
Addicted to flyfishing
481 Posts
So were you exited or excited? It sounds like it didn't matter a shit ton but I'm glad you were able to make it out all the same. How the boys doin and hows they're new fish doing? Lets fuckin fish soon.

Ryan

·
that's His Lordship, to you.....
6,159 Posts
Gives you a reason to go back for another serving of skunk oil, bro! When I'm around salt, I begin to revert to pinniped thinking, and start to look for my pole spear...ORK, ORK, ORK...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.