Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Dumbfounded
10,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's an idea I'm mess'n with. I took some SBS imagines I had on file and used them to make a clip. The patterns are not new. I'm wondering if a clip without instruction text (for the most part) is viable? Do you really need the instruction text? Probably not for experienced fly tiers... but I'm not sure.

Here's the experimental clip with three different patterns. I tossed it together fairly quickly. Let me know what you think about a SBS without instructional text. I'm sure it is handy for a beginner but does a SBS work without text or narration?

·
Dumbfounded
10,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I was writing the flytying column, I always wondering how much text I really needed to add. The photos are, as you say, self-explanatory... at least, again, for experienced fly tiers.

If I do any more flytying SBS, I think I'll go with the clip bit. Someone can always pause the clip if they want to look at a step for a longer period of time than it is shown.

I doubt if I'll ever go to making film clips instead of stills, I hate my voice on recordings...

·
Dumbfounded
10,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Hmmm.... I can add a little text to the photos so I think I will. Stay tuned for the second attempt.

Never mind. Adding text was time consuming and a distraction for the photo. If I do a genuine SBS clip I may add text but will allow for the time required for reading the text with the photo.

·
Dumbfounded
10,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I gave it a try with a pattern called the Santiam Special Stone. The advantage of the slide show configuration is that you can pause a frame for reference much easier than with a moving clip.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Umm ... Stay with images on a webpage, if you do stills. Like here. Every time a sequence is initiated in video, or elsewhere, I am gone, or swearing and skipping through. I control my own speed through a series.

If you can do it in less than 6 minutes (some of us are older than the current 3-minute attention span) shoot on your iPad. I sat next to a tyer who posted to YouTube ten minutes after shooting an SBS. Maybe, 16 minutes to 20 from start to post. Another tyer shot the video handheld. He simply displayed the material in packaging as he went. Mistakes, and background noise, included. He did not talk. He had a 1000 hits in about 3 hours.

The only issue was showing a graphic-business on his tee-shirt.

BTW, I created a Word doc from a YouTube-type SBS. You can pause video. I have a decent screen capture program. Just type away. .... Which reminds me.... What are all those abbreviations that Scott uses?

·
Googlemeister
2,710 Posts
add a recipe slide of each fly. everybody doesnt know every material being used

make your slide show but add a voice over or make a video and then add the voice

a slide show with absolutely no explanation of what youre tying in or showing a particular technique is well....boring

·
Dumbfounded
10,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nah, I won't add a voice over. When I'm doing a SBS for one pattern... such as the Santiam Special Stone, it goes by quickly enough that I think the photos are self explanatory. I did add more floating text to describe the steps but no more than I thought was required. As a result, I think the format works. I include the completed fly and tying materials separate from the clip for easy reference.

Three at a time is indeed boring but that was an experiment. I think the format works as long as I limit the fly to one:

http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/forum/threads/santiam-special-stone-sbs.117599/

·
Dumbfounded
10,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all your comments. To save space for my Vimeo account, I plan to delete the clip sometime in the near future. I like the format and am now using it for my SBS threads.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.