Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Donny, you're out of your element...
4,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sunday morning saw some relatively unpredictable winds and weather so I decided to conduct an experiment at one of the beaches I have been learning. This beach has been consistent every time I have fished it, nice big boulders and seams of bedrock that jut out to bust up a 1/2 walking pace tide into some nice eddies and swirls.The wind forecast suggested winds would be onshore, so I wanted some backup in punching out casts.

The question of which is more efficient and enjoyable for selective gear fishing for SRC off a beach- gear- or flies- has been nagging me for a while. I decided to test it out.

I took a six foot spin rod lined with 6 pound mono, with single hook barbless vibrax, black, and various sizes of rooster tails, again barbless and single hooked, and compared that to a fly rod. I was equipped with a broom handle of a single-hander lined with 6wt sink-line, I cast a epoxy headed sand lance or a variety of small clousers.

Predicted winds were 180 degrees of what was actual, though gusts threw in some variability. The crappy rain on the drive out and on the ferry ride ended right at beach arrival.

After two and a half hours of fishing, cast ratios were about 5:1 for gear to fly rod, If I got a strike I'd try a couple more tries with the one rod and then switch to the other, same cast vicinity. Winds sometimes made gear casts more attractive. The gear consistently out-distanced the fly cast, unsurpirsingly, and the gear fished deeper and hung up a little more. I lost one lure. (If you stand on a rock on ----Beach and see black vibrax #3---take it, it's yours...)

Sometimes I couldn't tell if I was getting hits or brushing up over boulders and weeds, 9/10 times made me think it was the latter. Casting to distant rises was easy and doable with the gear, not-so with the fly-rod. The gear caught one cabezon in the final 3 minutes of fishing, it was about 11 inches, a handsome beast of a thing.

The fly got the only SRC, a nice 15 inch fish. Strikes were easy to feel.

I was more bored with the spin rod, the process of casting and stripping was more fun with the fly rod, except when the wind was up, in which case the fly fun immediately dropped.

So my conclusion was overall the fly was more enjoyable, and got the job done, though the rod (of course it wasn't me) made casts underwhelming in comparison to other rods I have.

I concluded I needed a new rod, and next time I would leave the spin rod at home.

The only other footnote was while casting a dog fight erupted behind me on the path obscured by the bramble and blackberry. I couldn't see the dogs but the owners began shrieking, as were the dogs. Both dogs sounded small. Horror movie kinds of screaming. It left me in a dilemma, wade out and see if I could help, or keep fishing. The guy said "I have a car" several times. I couldn't see what was going on, it sounded nasty. All the noise ended in about three minutes, I kept fishing, figuring they had worked something out.

·
"Chasing Riseforms"
4,977 Posts
Nice experiment Boot! Now I know a good "Goodwill" you can deposit your spin gear at. Ah but oh, keep your fly rod, right?!

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Interesting observations! No disrespect to Larry but keep the spinning gear. It has a place and purpose. I am kind of a Haig-Brown type of fishermen. You use the gear and technique most applicable to a situation. There is no shame in flinging spoons or spinners!

If someone wants to persue fish with just a flyrod that is their right and prejudice! It doesn't mean that anyone else has to comply and believe in their notions. It is fishing! NOT a religion! The key issue is respect to the resource and with that the proper handling of fish and understanding of the need to conserve. A guy flipping spoons can be just as aware as a guy flinging flies and a guy flinging flies can be just as greedy as a bait fisherman. It isn't how you fish as much as how you view fishing!

Dave

·
Still truckless now farther away
1,693 Posts
VEry good again Boot . thanks

·
"Chasing Riseforms"
4,977 Posts
Interesting observations! No disrespect to Larry but keep the spinning gear. It has a place and purpose. I am kind of a Haig-Brown type of fishermen. You use the gear and technique most applicable to a situation. There is no shame in flinging spoons or spinners!

If someone wants to persue fish with just a flyrod that is their right and prejudice! It doesn't mean that anyone else has to comply and believe in their notions. It is fishing! NOT a religion! The key issue is respect to the resource and with that the proper handling of fish and understanding of the need to conserve. A guy flipping spoons can be just as aware as a guy flinging flies and a guy flinging flies can be just as greedy as a bait fisherman. It isn't how you fish as much as how you view fishing!

Dave
Ah, but it is a religion Dave!

·
You should have been here yesterday...
158 Posts
"I took a six foot spin rod..."

There's a problem right there. Why compare fly fishing with fishing with a 6 foot spinning rod? I haven't gear fished with less than a light 8 1/2 - 9 foot rod in 50 years... mostly with a fly rod with a spinning reel attached. That's a world of difference than a 6 foot rod

Rich.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Larry,

Yes it can be a religion! But then that applies to some and not all!! And I do respect your views as mine are quite similar in many ways. I cann't recall the last time I fished with anything other than a flyrod in fresh water. Heck I don't own a spinning rod nor spinning reel. But I do have fond memories of meat fishing for spiny rays using spinning gear. Nothing like sitting on the bank at Moses lake on a hot summer day, with one cooler filled with ice cold beer and another full of ice and crappie, perch and blue gill awaiting to be filleted, battered and deep fried for dinner.

Dave

·
Donny, you're out of your element...
4,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There's a problem right there. Why compare fly fishing with fishing with a 6 foot spinning rod?
Rich if that's the only problem with the experiment I would be thrilled. What I took away was water column and feeding zones, the spin gear was fishing deeper, the fly gear was fishing way up. SRC at this location remain interested in the top 3 or less feet of water and all the better if the lure is not mainly metal.

Larry, I am planning, at some stage, to build a chair out of the old busted and crappy rods I have. Sort of like one of those chairs you see built out of old skis, or of green 2-year straight suckers of applewood. This chair, in my imagination, would be more comfortable, a little springy, and with potential for shards of broken fiberglass in the ass if not built right (Iif I wanted to design it for extended family, I would need butt sections of surf or game rods for the load bearing, some kind of stringer frame made out of kevlar or steel, and probably some carriage bolts and maybe a system of counterweights, pullies, and car springs so that it can eject the occupant).

·
"Chasing Riseforms"
4,977 Posts
Rich if that's the only problem with the experiment I would be thrilled. What I took away was water column and feeding zones, the spin gear was fishing deeper, the fly gear was fishing way up. SRC at this location remain interested in the top 3 or less feet of water and all the better if the lure is not mainly metal.

Larry, I am planning, at some stage, to build a chair out of the old busted and crappy rods I have. Sort of like one of those chairs you see built out of old skis, or of green 2-year straight suckers of applewood. This chair, in my imagination, would be more comfortable, a little springy, and with potential for shards of broken fiberglass in the ass if not built right (Iif I wanted to design it for extended family, I would need butt sections of surf or game rods for the load bearing, some kind of stringer frame made out of kevlar or steel, and probably some carriage bolts and maybe a system of counterweights, pullies, and car springs so that it can eject the occupant).
Damn. That's a great artistic idea Boot! I always wondered about all those beat up old rods at the Goodwill. It would sell! I like you innovativeness. You could open a shop next to Orvis in Bellevue!

·
card shark
2,315 Posts
Conducting research by experimenting on which rod works better on SeaRun Cutthroat.....hmmm; 'boot that kind of sounds like 'drinking for medicinal purposes, only', or reading Playboy for scientific purposes in order to learn anatomy.

I like the way you think. I am already formulating my response to my spouse, "but honey, I need to complete an important scientific experiment and to do that it is essential that I go to the beach tomorrow morning".

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.