Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance. 

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
My other car is a fly rod.
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the advantages for extending the length of books with tubes or with trailing hooks? Does it put the bite toward the end of the fly? For that matter, what are the advantages of long salmon hooks over shorter nymph-style hooks that are tied with long feathers? Do steelhead tend to strike short at flies? I don't want to buy a bunch of new hooks, but I am thinking of learning to tie trailing hooks, and am wonderting about the advantages of the extra effort.

Thanks.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I fish a lot of streamers for trout, and I just recently began tying flies with trailing hooks. There are two reasons why they work well. 1. The action in the water is more fluid and realistic 2. The fish hook easier and you land more fish. I always use Octopus hooks ( I think that is what they are called). I have noticed I hook and land more fish using them. They are easy to tie. Check out YouTube on how to tie articulated flies. There are plenty of good videos.

·
Flaccid Member
3,900 Posts
they hold way better, especially during the dreaded death roll. i try to incorporate octopus stingers in all my trout, salmon and steelhead streamers whether easy or not for that purpose. plus being able to slap on a shiny new hook riverside after hook #1 is roached is pretty sweet too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.