1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
{Fly fishing} = Time well spent
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
93 Posts
Last time I fished the Sol Duc I whacked my glasses into the water with a poorly executed spey cast. I fished almost blind for the rest of the day. Luckily my buddy was on hand to row through the rapids!

The takeaway?

Retention strap on the glasses are probably a good investment.

·
Dues past due
234 Posts
I teach with a guy (who's quiet on this forum) who had the same thing happen to him back in '96. He forgot to pinch the barb on that fly, whoops. He has a video of the surgery and shows it in class around this time of year. My classes weren't really interested this year although I tried. His vision is great, but the eye doesn't look the same as the other anymore.

·
Joe Streamer
4,156 Posts
Barbless hooks 100%. Wear glasses 100%.

Even if these measures aren't a full guarantee of eye safety, you certainly increase your odds of retaining vision should an accident happen.

·
Kayak Fly Angler
176 Posts
Horrible. Just horrible. I've had eye surgery before and dearly hope I'll never have to go through it again. Ever smelled your own eyeball being cooked with a laser? Yuck.

And shame on you for putting such a tantalizing title on this thread (I'll click on anything that says, "warning", especially if it's "quite graphic").

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.