Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance. 

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
10,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My favorite time of year hands down. The crisp, cool air and vivid colors are awesome. Met some new locals yesterday whilst risking life and limb in bear country. I left w/o spray or gun. Having to once again don waders after spending the summer wet wading is the craps... I was really loving that new attire. Streamer action was so-so, but finally a BWO hatch emerged and the glassy, cold water showed life. Several nice fish later and it was over about as fast as it started. I never tire of watching a size 18 dry fly get taken.

My camera simply does not do their colors justice...

Water Underwater Fish Marine biology Fin

Water Salmon-like fish Oncorhynchus Underwater Fish

Water Fish Marine biology Underwater Fin

·
Banned
10,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Today being a near repeat of yesterday's weather, my neighbor and I tried the same area again. He's older and slower, so I left the spray and gun behind ;). We opted to fish dry's right off the start and never did change up. Once again, the bugs were few but the residents showing themselves just enough to keep us intently watching for them.

We met a guy and his mellow yellow lab coming downstream and watched him hook and land one of the nicest Rainbows either of us have seen come out of that river. I asked if he wanted a picture and he said "oh hell yes if you wouldn't mind". He caught it on a Zonker and it was an honest 18".

The colder temp's have the water near gin clear and we spooked a good many fish that were laying in the shallows; I'm presuming trying to get warm. We also saw several fresh redd's and one in particular that had 5 fish on the bed... must be a warm spring under it :). I took a short video (.avi file), but haven't figured out how to upload it.

Yup, fall is definitely in full swing!

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
I love this time of year! Screw deer hunting. I won't mess with that till late season, when most the yahoo's that take over clear out.
This time of year for fishing has all the big fish looking to eat, either for winter, or prior to spawning. The water is finally cold enough for them to move into shallows and reap the benefits of baitfish and abundant insect forage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.