Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hit a SWW river to see if any chinook were pushing through some pocket water I like and do some tight line nymphing. Not quite enough rain to really put them on the move, but some fish were present. I did manage to get a decent fish to grab an orange and gold comet but it threw the hook. Also got some (unedited) video of a couple fish holding behind a large rock.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Took this 8 days ago. Could be same river. I'm sure you'll recognize it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't recognize that particular spot but the river looks familiar. Haven't seen that kind of low water jamming in several years. I had a feeling I should have hit the river after that rain. Sadly, I was in tuna mode at the time.

Still time to get into some bright fish if we get more rain. The ones I've seen have been a mix of "it'll smoke up fine" :rolleyes: and some actual BBQ grade fish. The frisky one in the vid I took looks like a good fish. Might even be the one I hooked about 20 minutes later in a different slot not far upstream.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I miss fall chinook fishing on the fly. Too bad they're letting zero hatchery fish above the weir on the Kalama, and the coho are once again a no-show. (Not entirely true...they've let about 40 over the weir.)

11,000 hatchery chinook so far...all destined for food processors.
The sad truth of lower CR fall chinook hatchery programs is that they're all about supporting commercial fisheries. And why not. The bulk of the "sport" fishing in the tribs is done in direct violation of the regs, let alone any sense of sporting ethics.

Other than that, I agree that fly fishing for fall chinook is a lot of fun and very effective at times. That's one reason I don't mind sharing some hints here and there. I wouldn't mind seeing a few fly guys on the river - or any for that matter.

IMO, that's no loss with the early coho not showing on the K. Maybe I just never figured them out, or hit it right, but as far as I'm concerned they're worthless, lock-jawed, snagger-attracting vermin. The late run coho however, are premium fish in every way.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
The sad truth of lower CR fall chinook hatchery programs is that they're all about supporting commercial fisheries. And why not. The bulk of the "sport" fishing in the tribs is done in direct violation of the regs, let alone any sense of sporting ethics.

Other than that, I agree that fly fishing for fall chinook is a lot of fun and very effective at times. That's one reason I don't mind sharing some hints here and there. I wouldn't mind seeing a few fly guys on the river - or any for that matter.

IMO, that's no loss with the early coho not showing on the K. Maybe I just never figured them out, or hit it right, but as far as I'm concerned they're worthless, lock-jawed, snagger-attracting vermin. The late run coho however, are premium fish in every way.
I can't really disagree with you. I've always had a love/hate relationship with the Kalama in the fall because of what it turns into. If too many tule's showed up, I'd get mad because I couldn't get into any bright ones. If too few showed up, I'd get mad because I couldn't get into any bright ones. When s-type coho cruised through, I'd get mad because I could throw everything at them and never touch one. Maybe I need to re-evaluate my idea of good fishing :)

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can't really disagree with you. I've always had a love/hate relationship with the Kalama in the fall because of what it turns into. If too many tule's showed up, I'd get mad because I couldn't get into any bright ones. If too few showed up, I'd get mad because I couldn't get into any bright ones. When s-type coho cruised through, I'd get mad because I could throw everything at them and never touch one. Maybe I need to re-evaluate my idea of good fishing :)
There still are opportunities for quality fall salmon on the fly in SWW. Might involve using the "N" word but I could give a flying fuck since I was fishing that way decades before internet bitching was invented.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.