Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok - ignorance intrusion here......I need some good wet fly and nymph ideas for the Fall. I fish mainly in the Stilly area around Arlington to Granite. I have my hatch book but I'm a little confused on what actualy hatches here in my area versus what the book says hatches in the area. Thanks all....:thumb:

·
19D
193 Posts
can't say I know about the Stilly... but the October caddis are going nuts over in the rockies

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
As mentioned, October Caddis. Orange spiders work well to imitate the pupae and an orange-bodied elk-hair caddis in about a size 8 imitates the adult. Blue-winged olives are coming off in increasing numbers as the weather cools and on a recent trip to the North Fork we saw quite a few craneflies.

·
Still truckless now farther away
1,693 Posts
Thanks Preston that's a big help.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
indeed, october caddis, BW olives are another good choice. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Geez, and I thought I was the only guy that was out there casting orange. In addition to the orange spider and orange elk hair caddis mentioned by others, I've been fishing a small version of the Silver Brown. The SRC seem to really like this last pattern. Fishing it on a floating line with about a 9ft - 12ft leader.

If you're into trying for Coho, I recently had a little success with a copy of Leland's Fat Fly Skunk Butt. The SRC also smash this fly though so I've been using smaller hooks.

The reverse spider is also one of my favorites. I need to experiment more with how I tie this fly though because I'd like them to hold up a bit better than mine have been. A yellow body has been more successful for me this past week than the hot orange or black body.

·
Piscatorial predilection
2,439 Posts
Andy,
Nice fish and welcome to WFF. May I offer some gentle advise? Get a legal net, the one in the pic is all wrong, and it might be better if you didn't post pics of obviously mishandled fish (the 2nd pic), some folks here get real up tight about that too......

LB

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
they were legal catches, legal size. Taken home and fried. I enjoyed them anyway.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's the same question I debated with a friend. However - bear this is mind. After 16 years of not being able to eat fish (allergy) I was recently re-tested and cleared to eat fish and shellfish. Those 2 fish were my first fish I've tasted in a lot of years. Also realize that I 99% of the fish I catch are C&R.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
LOL...

Step 1 - get pattern advice from some very experienced local tiers
Step 2 - use pattern advice to kill a couple sea-runs
Step 3 - withdraw membership from this site

Classic...

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
The primary reason for the catch-and-release regulation on cutthroat in salt water was the problem of mixed stocks. Since cutthroat may move as much as 20-30 miles from their natal streams during the saltwater phase of their lives, stocks from a lot of different streams become intermingled. Some very small streams have populations of cutthroat that may number fewer than a hundred and an intensive harvest fishery in salt water could conceivably wipe such a run out completely. The 2-fish, 14-inch minimum size limit, in place in most freshwater fisheries, was set to provide most sea-run cutthroat an opportunity to spawn at least once before being harvested.

Most of us who love to fish for sea-run cutthroat in the rivers simply choose not to kill them; the last sea-run cutthroat to grace my table was caught over twenty years ago.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Thank you Preston. I've been puzzled by this for a long time. It did not occur to me that some stocks were that sensitive. Not that I'm surprised, it just hadn't occured to me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.