Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to get some advise on a family boat for use in lakes.
I have 8ft Hopper for about 8years and its the great boat for one man FF, its older one so bit heavy but still great boat.

Now family is getting bigger and need to get another bigger boat for family use so I can still go FF/camping, thinking to get something in 12 or 14ft size to fish with two kids and wife fishes on 8ft hopper.

Any suggestions would be great, main use would be in BC interior lakes.

I think I would like to wait for 14ft Springrcreek to come out or look into something like Koffler boat or etc.
Until I purchased the Springcreek, I was changing the boat every season or two, I learnt from that lesson that I wanted to get something I will be happy with and something last long time.

Thank you in advance and I was glad to find out about this forum.:)

Kaz

·
Long Lost Member
20,205 Posts
Kaz, what is your budget? I've recently become a big fan of a 14' cataraft. I have Maxxon tubes, a NRS frame and thanks to the recommendation of a good friend added line-x covered front and rear platforms. It is great for three seats, rower, one front and one back until you get three bigger people in the boat. I've had as much as about 750# of people in the boat and it still floats high. Rowing is less nimble than when there are about 500# of people onboard. My girls are small, I can put them side by side up front inside a lean bar and the misses can read a book on the back while I row. Pretty comfortable. Browse this watercraft forum and you'll see there is no shortage of folks that have watercraft that they love. Best of luck, welcome, enjoy.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Find a 1648 Jon boat, preferably a welded one. (Alumacraft, Lowe, Tracker, etc) The extra room that the 16' affords will be appreciated on the water.

They are easily powered by small motors, especially if you aren't in a hurry to get anywhere fast.

·
Ignored Member
12,110 Posts
Check out Klamath Boats. I have an older 12 foot welded aluminium Klamath that has to be the biggest 12 footer out there. Small enough to pack on top of a canopy. Great boat that I have run in the Skagit River and even the salt (staying in close). Mine is powered with a 9.9 Suzuki and I have had 3 grownups in it with no issues. For a lake boat I will use a 35 lb. electric which will push it around just fine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for advise, everyone!
Mumbles; I am thinking to get punt or Jon, budget ? good question but will get one that I am going to use it for long time. I learned that from Springcreek pram.

will look into Klamath boat.

Thank you for such a quick reply.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Kaz-

Your options are endless when it comes to buying a lightweight family boat. There are a few things you should consider though:

- Aluminum boats are just that, aluminum. Brand isn't really a huge selling point. Rivetted or welded, if you buy a boat in good shape and use it on lakes, your boat will last for many years.
- However, if you buy one with a motor, look that over thoroughly. Make sure it starts easily and is in great shape. You're paying a lot for the motor and a little for the boat.
- Do you want to trailer or cartop it? If trailering, go for a 14'-16' with a 9.9hp. Leaning towards the 16' would be wise as your kids will get bigger. That way you can fish 3 people out of it and cruise with 4 comfortably. If you're cartopping, go for 12' and pack light.
- As you may fish with 2, 3, or 4 people out of one boat, look for potential ways to build in storage to keep organized. Remember you'll need all the required gear plus fishing gear. The more people in the boat, the more valuable every inch of used space will be.

These are just a few things to consider.

I won't tell you what brand but I can vouch for size. I grew up on a 12' aluminum with a 9.8hp and loved it. Once my brother and I got bigger, we outgrew that boat. I now have a 16' aluminum v-hull with a 15hp and it's just the right size. I take it on the sound for crabbing and also run it electric only on the -100 acre lakes here. It's a good size.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Clarkbre;
Great advise!! I am leaning for probably 14ft-16ft. with trailer option with small motor at this moment. I have electric motor with me so will look for small gas motor in future.
Wanted to be ready for next season so started my home work now and will keep eye open for used set up or new Springcreek , Aluminum.

Do you recommend 9.9Hp for gas motor? I was thinking more like 5-6hp. but I never had gas motor before.

Thank you

·
Registered
50 Posts
will keep eye open for used set up or new Springcreek , Aluminum.

Do you recommend 9.9Hp for gas motor? I was thinking more like 5-6hp. but I never had gas motor before.

Thank you
Again, don't limit yourself to a certain brand right off the bat. Start looking on Craigslist at all the different aluminum boats and you'll find plenty that fit your needs.

For a gas motor, I wouldn't go anything less then a 9.8/9.9. You need to ask yourself where you will be fishing. DO the lakes have a HP limit? Usually it's 10HP or less. For that, I would go for a 9.8/9.9. If you don't fish in HP restricted waters, I'd go anywhere from that to what the boat is maxed out at.

Start looking at people's set ups and you'll get an idea of what size works for what fishing. Another great forum to look at for aluminum fishing boats is tinboats.net. You can find a ton of info there on almost any size/brand aluminum boat and how the guys have modified theres.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.