Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw that some of you guys were tying some of Syd's flies and was wondering if you guys have any of his flies, ones that he tied.
Syd Glasso or Wes drain.... anybody tie their flies or have any of them?

·
Registered
953 Posts
I was once given a variation of the Mr. Glasso spey fly tied by Dick Wentworth, one of Glasso's students. It had real heron hackles, split floss orange dubbing and a gorgeous GP tippet wing. I very foolishly hung it up on a submerged rock on the skykomish. Won't make the same mistake with the spade fly Alec Jackson gave me at the Seattle Sportsman's show. Am going to frame it and put it on the wall.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont really know what I was going for with this thread. One of my favorite people of all time died in '01. He was one of the origional people that worked on getting the stilly to flyfishing only. he was not only an avid fly fisherman but a good friend with many famous fly tiers and great fisherman. He fished the N. Umpqua with Zane grey and loved the steelhead.
I just look for a connection to him in my fly fishing.
I have a bunch of Glasso flies that he gave me before he passed but had never given them much thought until now.
anybody know of wes drain?

·
Formerly Tight Loops
1,341 Posts
I have heard of Wes Drain and Syd Glasso from the fly tying literature, but I never have had a chance to meet these guys. I would have really liked to.

I really feel a reverence for fly fishing when I walk by Enos Bradner's old place out in the woods on my way to the NF Stilly.

I love steeleheading with a fly, and it really bummed me out that it was such a crummy year. Heck, I am still looking for a 6-8 wt bamboo rod so that I can fish like those guys did.

You are a lucky man to be in possession of Glasso originals.

Rob

·
Formerly tbc1415
3,179 Posts
I got to know Wes a bit and fished with him a few times. He and Bill McMahon acted as my sponsors to join the Washington Steelhead Flyfishers years ago. I never made any attempt to collect anything from Wes or any of the other pioneers of steelhead fly fishing. Although I understood their historical value. Wes was a very skilled machinist. His lathe was his pride and joy. His reels were beautifully made. At one point he started tying full dress atlantic salmon flies because he thought they were "such pretty little things". He was one of the most delightful and unassuming fellows that you ever wanted to meet. Even when he needed help getting his waders on he was still willing to go fishing.

Bill's outward personality was just about the opposite of Wes. Gregarious, outgoing and full of good cheer, a masterful joke and story teller. He was a skilled surgeon but to tell the truth he tied some of the worst looking flies you can imagine. After mounting a few of his flies I had to wonder about his patients. Especially considering that he was a proctologist. One time at the annual christmas party anonymous gift exchange (gifts were piled on a table and handed out at random), Bill unwrapped his gift to discover a "Buns" calander. His good nature was of the contagious type. He could light up a room with it.

Needless to say, I have collected some lasting good memories of both these fine men. Thanks for bringing them up.
TBC

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you dont have to tell me about Bill. He was the greatest. I can't tell you how much I miss him. They were great men, different but great in their own way. My dad was given one of 5 hand machined reels that Wes made and gave to bill who gave it to my dad.
I have tons of memories of Bill. he was like a grandfather to me. We used to tie flies together or shoot BB guns off of his porch at bubbles he would blow for us.:) Bill is the reason I want to go fish the N Umpqua and the Babine. 2 of his favorites.
too many good memories. I am glad you knew them both. heck we may even know eachother.

·
been around
117 Posts
met him in the infamous run below the pool at oso was very new to flyfishing and even newer to fly fishing for steelhead I had arrived there early and found the run empty this gentlemen walked down to the top edge of the pool put a folding lawn chair down and proceeded to sit in the sun and watch me fishfor about a hour never saying anything when I had finished I walked up and introduced myself to him and himthe same at the time I didn;t know who he was but I'll always rember what he said . I told him that I had yet to catch my first fly caught summer run his replay keep putting those fly's in the water and you will then he gave me directions to a run downstream where eventually I found my first. as my library of fly fishing books grew I found a picture of that fine gentlemen and yes in the picture and that day he wore that infamous hat.
john

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
TBC- i may have seen that poster. i think it was hung up in his shop. I used to spend a ton of time out in his shop when I was younger and he would always have a calender out there on the door that had girls in bikinis on it. Kind of funny for a guy like bill. He would be out there making trivets while I tied flies or built a fire in the old stove he had there. He did tie poor flies but he had fun doing it and it was so much more fun to tie with him across the table from me.
Bill was about the best story teller I have ever heard. he would tell stories over and over and I could never get tired of them. Or the songs that he used to sing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.