Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,
Am curious as to who is making, or made( latest ain’t always faster) the fastest production 6 weight on the planet? What was /is your favorite?….if you like that flavor.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I would consider a Sage Method, TCX, and Thomas & Thomas NSII as fast rods.I cast a Hardy Wraith which was fast too.I would consider them fast….but Winston said the Air 2 was fast and I did not agree.
If that helps.That is why I asked, was wondering what others thought.My favorite was the Thomas & Thomas.

·
Registered
837 Posts
The fastest rods I have cast, which are kind of several generations of the same rod style are the Sage TCR, which was followed by the Sage TCX, which was followed by the Sage Method. I may be missing a generation in that order of rod models, but that is my memory. Personally, I didn't think any of them were great fishing tools and were frustrating to cast if your timing wasn't perfect. Most people would be better off fishing these rods overlined by at least one line weight, maybe two. But in the hands of a master, they could bomb it out there.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Folks,
Am curious as to who is making, or made( latest ain’t always faster) the fastest production 6 weight on the planet? What was /is your favorite?….if you like that flavor.
I always felt my Sage One’s were insanely fast action rods. I have a 4 weight, 9.5 footer and turned it into an effective nymphing rod when using heavy rigs. I also have a 12.5 and 13.5 One Spey rods and they are fast to release the loaded line and recover very fast.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I always felt my Sage One’s were insanely fast action rods. I have a 4 weight, 9.5 footer and turned it into an effective nymphing rod when using heavy rigs. I also have a 12.5 and 13.5 One Spey rods and they are fast to release the loaded line and recover very fast.
I should add for relevance, the Orvis H2 6 weight is a fast action rod that I really enjoyed for salt fishing. And for perspective, my Sage Method 4wt is definitely slower, and loads far lower than the One’s

·
Registered
2 Posts
The 6wt, 9ft G. LOOMIS ASQUITH FLY ROD is a gun or magic wand.
I've cast this rod in straight line winds & the line shoots its self.
The color has actually grown on me - this is a very unique rod with amazing performance.

·
Registered
204 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
The actual definition of "fast" is the percent the rod bends. The less bend,the faster. So, yes, a broomstick would be the fastest.
Many people share this perspective, and I certainly see where you are coming from. It's really confusing for many of us.

My understanding though is the opposite. Please correct me if I am wrong but the actual definition of a rod's action is where the rod bends. The broomstick does not have the taper to make it bend at the tip (fast action), so it's actually very slow as it would bend along the entire length.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Shopping for a broom pole rod?

The best I can suggest is the Winston 9 X 9 light saltwater single hand rods from the late 1970s.

So everybody here is still using single handers? I don't expect to ever use a single hand fly rod again unless I fish a spring creek that I can jump across.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not sure if you’ve ever casted a TFO BVK or not. Though I’ve never held a 6wt I have casted a 7wt and a 10wt BVK and they seem very fast. I believe these are discontinued now, BUT if you can find one it may be what you’re looking for.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts