Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some alternative (worthy of course) considerations. Too, I'm just pretty curious to see what kind of patterns might emerge. Fished, or yet to be fished - five faves. Feel free.
:smokin

First Instinct Usually Most True On These...
1. Henry's Fork - Harriman Ranch
2. Silver Creek
3. Deschutes - Warm Springs to Maupin
4. Bighorn
5. Gaspe Peninsula Atlantics

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Great topic! You thinking "all time best" or local homewater faves? My personal faves- not including best "one off" fishing trips:

1. American River, CA between Twin Brides/Strawberry and Sciots (all time #1- where my grandfather taught me to fish trout when I was 5 years old-- 4th generation Davis native- I don't fish it much anymore)
2. Upper Skagit
3. Sauk
4. Stilly
5. Puget Sound/BWCA in Minnesota for smallies & northerns: tie

Didn't include anything I haven't fished at least 20 times. Anyone can test drive a Ferrari, but what's in your garage ;) I enjoy the feeling of home turf. For me, nothing beats the feeling of knowing a place.

·
Retired Mod
11,079 Posts
Have to agree with Nailknot

I prefer what's close to home. Have fished worldwide (even fished and caught Atlantic Salmon on BOTH sides of the Atlantic). But I love my home waters. Not just for the comfort feel, but because it's more a piece of my soul.

Hmmmmm, my top five eh? Well, it would be
1. Nooch
2. Nooch
3. Nooch
4. Nooch
5. Did I mention the Nooch???

:D ;-)
Ok, so I love the Nooch. Probably because it's one of the first rivers I was able to walk from black creek to white bridge in shorts during the summer and explore the holes myself. But here would be my list
1. Wynoochee
2. Hoh
3. Sol Duc
4. Chehalis
5. Puyallup (my homewater and where I first caught my first steelie and salmon on).

Like nailknot's Ferrari scenerio, I've fished alot of places, but not ALOT of times at each place. Just one or two trips per river. Have fished some lovely places, and caught some beautiful fish, but nothing compares to here. Now, give me the chance to fish the Kola Peninsula, Kamatchka Peninsula, or down at Tierra Del Fuego, I may change my tune. ;-) Hey Boblawless, you wanna go??:beer2

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Have to agree with Nailknot

Thanks for the invite. Are you picking up the expenses? I would assume so because I never invite someone to dinner and then ask them to pay. Will you bring all the tackle, flies, leaders and the like? What class will be flying on the airlines? I get quite unfomfortable on anything short of first class. I don't care for public transportation either, particulary in foreign countries. But, yes, I'm all good to go.
Babboes:beer2 :beer2 :beer2

·
Retired Mod
11,079 Posts
Heck Yeah

I am same way. If I invite, I pay (I don't take after my exwife ;) ). Once I win the lottery, you and me heading to some exotic location. Don't worry, I won't forget my flybox or my cash. ;)

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Of all the well known rivers I've fished in order of preference at their peak:

1. Skagit, Marblemount up

2. Sauk, Darrington down

3. N.F. Clearwater

4. Lochsa

5. Still looking

Randy

" When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee" Isaiah 43:2

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
I forgot what I was supposed to remember.

Five rivers :hmmm I don't know about only five :dunno But I will try. Lets see #1. Upper S/F Sauk
#2. Beckler
#3. S/Fork Stilly
#4. Main Stilly
#5. N/F Sauk

Jim:smokin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Guys... you've lived well already and have my permission to retire as soon as possible and fish full time.
Don't hesitate, however, to include those which you have not yet fished, but will as soon as you can - top o' the list waters...

Major- Los Roques was a near #5 on mine... I deferred to nostalgia on the Gaspe Pen entry. Did you get to read the article the great Ted Williams wrote on Los Roques? Extremely well written, encaptivating, smooth... and I wasn't surprised.

Randy- If you could spend a week getting to know one water... gimme a #5, man!
KB

Bob and Steel- Please come back to this humble site after your world tour and give us at least a brief report... We knew you when, ya know, after all.

:beer2

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Okay, Kevin. #5 will probably be in the Olympics. I still can't pin it down but I would like a week on the Gray Wolf, NF Skokomish, upper Queets, upper Dungeness, upper Sol Duc and upper Elwah. They are tied for #5 now. Ask me again in a few years.

Randy

" When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee" Isaiah 43:2

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I didn't see anything that limited me to just rivers, so I hope my #1 and #2 won't harsh any mellows.

#1 Chopaka in June
#2 Clayoquot Sound in August
#3 Big Wood River, Idaho
#4 Silver Creek, Idaho
#5 Somewhere in Montana (never been)

Of course this list only includes the places I'm free to name. ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ray - that was a purely bold move, including a stillwater and salt at the risk of "harshing any mellows"... lmao
:rofl

·
Registered
844 Posts
I gotta say, as sappy as it sounds, my favorite place to fish is where ever I'm fishing at the moment. From the most isolated to the most crowded, both lakes and moving water.. it's all good!

But of course I have sentamental favorites

1) Firehole River, Yellowstone NP- first fish I ever landed on a fly and maybe the most beautiful.
2) All the lakes I'll fish next week (or any with Kamloops trout)
3) Snoqualmie, middle fork.
4) Yakima River near Thorp
5) Big Twin Lake near Winthrop, no longer fishable. :bawling

·
Registered
17 Posts
My Top 5 Favorite Rivers.

1.) The Copper River near Iliamna Alaska
2.) The Karluk River on Kodiak Island Alaska
3.) The Rio Grande in Tierra Del Fuego, Argentina
4.) The Bighorn River, Montana
5.) The Yellowstone River, Yellowstone Park Wyoming

I'll be fishing the Yellowstone this week!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey, what happened to Big Twin?
And... the Firehole also almost made #5 on my list as the surrealness representative. That's a cool river.

Cut - If you come back... looking forward to that report (you too Cdub).

I'm being reminded how long my "gotta fish someday" list is, compared to how few checks there are on there...
Better get crackin'

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I'll amend my #5 to include the Upper Pitt BC, the entire Skeena drainage, anywhere in South America with sea run trout, Juneau AK area island streams... and following Randy's lead- all the great waters I've never fished- and add, that I hope to find by accident in my backyard.

·
Registered
844 Posts

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Since we are going to start crying about ruined fisheries, let me just post one from my boyhood:
Colorado's Gunnison River at Eagle Rock, especailly up a mile or so. It was so fabulous that I am tearing up as I write.
It's still there, lifeless, on the bottom of some stinking sucker filled reservior about 100 ft. down.
Tear soaked Bob,
:bawling :bawling :bawling :bawling :bawling

·
Registered
953 Posts
Didn't Ernest Swiebert write a story about being one of the last parties to drift the Gunnison before it was dammed? It was in a book of Collected Writings of his, not in Remembrances of Rivers Past or A River for Christmas.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.