Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Artist
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was a fun project for me. A buddy of mine found an old Finwick 102-6 4 pc glass rod that he wanted me to build for him into a saltwater stick. Used the new alps tri with the fly hood and the rest is all EVA. I really liked the way it turned out. It should be a fun rod to fish.

http://s280.photobucket.com/albums/kk168/dquinine/Queen Bee Glass Rod/

·
Registered
899 Posts
Nice job. The old fenwick glass blanks are great to cast and very strong - almost impossible to break, even when you nick the material with a rock or a hook.

Do you have any experience with the EVA grip? How does it compare to cork?

Tom

·
Registered
96 Posts
That should be a nice fishing rod, Tyler. It will be a sweet 6wt, with good power but will still feel nice even with small fish. Plus it will handle larger fish on light tippets very well.

I love fiberglass rods, and own quite a few, and have built several from blanks. I actually have 2 of this exact blank, which were cut into 4 sections like yours with spigot ferrules from a single piece blank. One is the full 8'6" and the other is 8', but they both were FL 102-6 blanks. I think Fenwick had the taper nailed on this one way back when.

Enjoy!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.