Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well - a friend who wants one of these for big river trout fishing asked what I thought about the fighting butt or no on a 9.5' 6wt Z; all I could say is I have one on mine. I like it. It comes in handy for rare big fish.

Any opinions yeah/neah?

It seems like Sage is the only manufacturer that offers a handle option in this length/wt. Most others offer only fighting butt, I believe.

·
FUBAR
971 Posts
Same here, I have one on my 6wt and like it.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Agree, I go with Fighting butt every time in 6wt and up.

·
aka Dave Hoover
1,350 Posts
:thumb: on fighting butt

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
I think it's purely a matter of personal preferance. As practical as the fighting butt can be, many a large fish has been played and landed on rods 6 wt and up with no fighting butt. Of course I have to say this when I realize that I have 3 9 1/2' rods that lack fighting butts, and I'd hate to think those rods "look retarded."

Sg

·
Smells like low tide.
7,951 Posts
I have the TFO Jim Teeny 9' 4 wt, and it has a fighting butt, but doesn't need one. It can actually catch a loop and screw up one's cast if one isn't careful. Especially out on a windy estuary. So, when out in the wind, I prefer casting with my Fenwick "Iron Feather" 9'9" 6wt without the fighting butt.
The 4 wt is a fine lake and river rod, though. The fighting butt comes in handy when leaning the rod against something with the butt on the ground. It keeps my reel out of the mud or sand, or bilge.

·
Custom Title
12,145 Posts
I prefer a fighting butt on my 6-weights and up, save an pld 8 1/2-footer I have. Looks better imho and comes in right handy on larger fish (after a good day full of big fish without one and you'll wish you had one.).

·
1,696 Posts
696-4 Z is my absolute favorite rod. I chose not to go with the fighting butt. Either way, this rod kicks ass.
Yes, yes it does.

I ended up w/o one on my 696, and frankly I haven't missed it. Not that I would mind if it was there, but it hasn't been a big deal. But it is most definitely an awesome rod.

·
Long Lost Member
20,205 Posts
Where is golfman65 when we need him most. I say yes to sexy fighting butts. No butt uglies. I prefer rods with fighting butts because if you need one it is there. If you don't have one and need one...well you don't have one.

·
80 Posts
Looks better imho and comes in right handy on larger fish (after a good day full of big fish without one and you'll wish you had one.).
I had a good bruise after a day of fighting several big fish without one. it served as a reminder for a few days about what a fun time I had though.
+1 for the fighting butt.

I remember seeing some that unscrew so you can take them off when you don't want it.

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
well - a friend who wants one of these for big river trout fishing asked what I thought about the fighting butt or no on a 9.5' 6wt Z; all I could say is I have one on mine. I like it. It comes in handy for rare big fish.

Any opinions yeah/neah?

It seems like Sage is the only manufacturer that offers a handle option in this length/wt. Most others offer only fighting butt, I believe.
Absolutely yes to the fighting butt. The Sage fighting butt is a little one Sage uses on its 6 and 7 weights, and is perfect for those line weights.

I don't need to repeat the benefits mentioned by the others. The 6 weight is a rod that a person will likely start using for fish where you need to 'lean' on them, and the fighting butt is invaluable for that. And, the stick could be used for light saltwater, and the reel seat used with the fighting butt is much more saltwater friendly than is the nickel silver reel seat.

Plus, it just looks right. :)

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
An additional thought: a fighting butt built into a rod reduces that rod's effective length by however many inches are dedicated to fighting butt. That 9 1/2' rod becomes a 9' 4" rod. Besides, if y'all weren't such limp-wristed pussies you wouldn't need a fighting butt on rods as light as 6 wt. Neener, neener.

Sg

G

·
I have a 9 ft 6, 6 wt Loop Multi with a fighting but and it comes in handy. It also comes off when I don't need it. Good for the bigger trout and also rests nicely under my wrist when high sticking and making long drifts. Best of both worlds. The best 6wt rod I have ever used/own. I love it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.