Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do I know---I'm just an old man

I need some kind of answer. If they(fish) are slurping flies just below the Surface and someone said that they were BWO's, what would be a good fly to use for those fish. I have to know as I'm beating my head against a wall in a fit of anger as not being able to catch anything. I need a nymph or something. And no not a wood nymph.

Jim :DUNNO

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
We've been doing well on BWO's for the last couple of weeks. I have seen a few fish taking just subsurface, so a nymph or a barely sunk emerger might be a good bet. Most of the rises, however seem to be typical surface rises to a dun. The ring with a bubble in the center is a dead giveaway. Be prepared to go way down in size though, the naturals appear to be about 22's. I know that cutthroat aren't supposed to be selective, but I've experienced more refusals than not on 18's lately.

A BWO nymph can be very simple, just a couple of fibers for a tail and a tapered body of olive dun tying thread would probably do the job in such a small fly. My choice for an emerger would be a Quigley Cripple. My best dun imitations have been trailing shuck parachutes or a little extended body parachute dun.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
So tell me, Preston: How do does a bespectacled man like you manage to tie those rascals so small? Have you had to resort to those lit magnifying glasses? Or is that why you are bespectacled? Have any "cheat" methods?

·
Registered
953 Posts
You can imitate a blue winged olive nymph with an 18-22 pheasant tail nymph or one of the emerger nymphs Preston talks about. Dave Hughes in Western Streamside Guide says that the nymphs vary in colour from dark brown to tannish olive.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Nope, I do use a gooseneck magnifying lens sometimes. I try to keep my small patterns as simple as possible and use 8/0 thread if that qualifies. The reason I've had so many refusals on size 18's is that I've used up all of my 20's and 22's and can't get enthused about sitting down to tie some more (no fun). I almost wish it would start raining hard enough to blow the rivers out; then I wouldn't have to agonize about it. On the other hand, I really ought to tie up a few for the Yakima.

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What do I know---I'm just an old man

I have some of those and I think that they are size 18 or they could be smaller.So next time I go I will try some. Luck has to change some time.

Jim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.