Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Caught my first salmon swinging flies. Purple egg sucking leach was the ticket. Biggest fish of my life. 1st one fought hard and was a blast. 2nd fish took forever to get in. Took my into my backing 3 or 4 times. 1st fish I have black gloves on , 2nd fish no gloves. 2nd was a little longer and much thicker than the 1st.

Are these average size? Amy guess on how much the 2nd one weights.
Water Smile Fish Fisherman Plant
Water Smile Hunting Vertebrate Lake
Fish Salmon-like fish Marine biology Recreational fishing Ray-finned fish
Water Sky Hunting Smile Fisherman

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
SERE -

Yes those fish are average/typical size for male chums on that river.

Chum are a blast however now that you have a picture or two and the river is closed to the retention of chums you may want to consider taking maximum care that any incidentally caught chums are handled are given the best chance to survival to spawn and contribute to the next generation. Consider leaving the fish in the water, minimizing the time they are handles, avoid holding them over land, etc.

The above is not intended as a shot at the angler as it is easy to understand the excitement in encounter such fish for the first time. One of the wonders of anadromous fishing rivers on the wet side of the state is the wide variety and diversity of salmonids one can encounter; especially with our wild resources. As an angler's sampling of that resource increases over time most develop an ethic that while enjoy continue encounters with those resources put a high importance on the survival of those fish that "shake" our hands.

Curt

·
Moved to https://pnwflyfish.com
3,286 Posts
Those seem like pretty typical big bucks. It's always hard to tell in a picture, but I'd guess 12-15 lb range for both. Probably close to 12 for the first, 15 for the second. Nice job.

·
A collector never stops collecting!
4,895 Posts
Nice job! And great fish! Glad to see you're getting out!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Nice fish! They are a rad and under appreciated species.

If you target them or fish in areas that have a high possibility of bycatch, make sure you have appropriate gear...stout leaders and rods to put the boots to them if you can. 4 runs into the backing can put a lot of stress on a fish that isn't going on the table. My first chum were on a 7/8wt single hander and I realize now that was undergunned. I feel a little bad how long it took to bring those fish in. Live and learn! Hogs like that are hard to find in MT lol, hoping to find one or two myself in a few weeks if I'm lucky on a long weekend. Cheers!

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I measured it based on my pictures of the fish next to the spey rod. It was 37 inches long and 7 inches tall. I am guessing it at 5 inches wide based on my hand holding the fish at the bottom.

I come up with 37 inches and long and 24 inchs in girth. Using the fish calculator here, http://www.bassresource.com/bassfishing/fishcalculator.html I am coming up with 26 pounds. I'm sure it wasn't that big, so what am I missing?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Basically you're figuring the girth as if it's cross section were a rectangle, but it's more an ellipse. I don't recall the exact formula, but I'd suggest the girth is probably closer to 18 inches or so based on similar size Chum and Steelhead I've measured. Even so, a nice fish!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.