Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, hello!
I live near Houston, TX and am a transplant from southern Wyoming, where I've fly fished for about 25 years.
The second week in March, I'll be in Seattle for a conference my wife is attending, and I'm bringing my rod, waders, and tube (Creek Company U-boat) to hits some of the lakes east of the Cascades. I've been planning on hitting Lenore, but I was wondering if there are any other lakes, maybe nearer Seattle that I could shoot for. I'm interested in quality fish, not lots of stocker-sized minnows. Lenore seems like the best place since there's an early spring chironomid hatch, and I've never caught a Lahontan cutthroat. But if anyone has any other suggestions, I'd be happy to hear them.
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Hi,
We have quite a few other lakes opening March 1 within easy distance of Lenore, plus Rocky Ford. Indications now look favorable for mild weather for the opener, however that's subject to change. When it gets closer go to the WDFW web-site for information on prospects for Region 2. Last year quite a few of the local lakes were still iced up for 1st week or so, shouldn't happen this year. Good Luck, and when you get up here PM me if you like for current information.

·
Registered
234 Posts
The biggest advice I would give someone fishing March in E. Washington is check this website for reports and check the weather!

As mentioned, ice is always a consideration (although with the warm winter we are having it might be a non-issue).

But the other unknown is wind. Lenore, Lenice, Quincy, Beda, Dusty... it's hard to say year to year which lake will be fishing well in a particular spring but none of them are fun covered in whitecaps. Make sure when you do your planning to remain flexible. If the forecast calls for heavy wind adjust your schedule... don't ask how I know, just trust me :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Tom,
Thanks for the advice. Wyoming's lakes have a similar relationship with wind, ice, and potential hazards.
I go with the flow, so if the lake reports for that week look lousy, well, I'd still probably go just to see the cool geology of the area and take some photos.
But I have my fingers, toes, and everything else crossed so hopefully, the weather will be nice, the chironomids hatching, and the fish plentiful.

·
Registered
234 Posts
If you are a true chironomid addict (like me) it's pretty hard to pass by Lenice. Closer to Seattle then most of the other lakes it contains diploid rainbows planted as fingerlings that have grown up to see every fly known to man. Every spring it has daily chironomid hatches with an occasional epic day. It's challenging but when you figure it out... throw in browns and occasional tiger trout over twenty inches and you can see why many of us locals go back year after year. Average fish size is typically 16-18 inches.

Lenore is fun just to say you've caught a Lahontan but the fish are entering spawning mode and not quite the same experience. You could hit Lenore early and on the way back swing by Quincy. It is not a fly fishing only lake so you'll have lots of gear company but it contains immense amounts of chironomids. It's not uncommon to have 3+ sizes and colors hatching at the same time. Fish are usually 12-14 inches, football shaped from all the food and an absolute blast on a 3 or 4 weight rod.

When you get closer to your trip check the reports and hopefully locals like Couleeflyfisher can give first hand info.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.