Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance. 

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
I just buy good quality guides from a known source and rarely have to file the feet. Great job on your first wraps. Ive built several rods and it is a blast, got another 5 blanks on order. Our forum does group fly rod blank orders, save usually 30% and big savings on shipping as we are from BC. Rod building is a great hobby, building the handle is my favorite part and can make or break a rod. The next build for me is a 8' 5wt white glass for my daughter. Look forward to your build

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
FISHON206
4,691 Posts
Guide feet metal isn't that hard, I use a fine flat metal file. Also a Dremel, but you gotta be careful with a Dremel.....one side of the foot it can catch and spin the guide around and buzz off the point in a heartbeat! Been there...done that. :eek:

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I also got the masking tape on the butt for the reel seat and started reaming out the cork last night. Hoping to get the reel seat and cork glued on this weekend, along with more practice wrapping guides.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I leave a tag long enough to handle on each wrap and then nik them off with a straight razor just before i epoxy, this way if they loosen off a bit you can snug them and pack the wraps tight. Best of luck

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
FISHON206
4,691 Posts
On the tag ends, I leave them all long until ready to coat. Like coastrider said, nick them off close with a new razor blade, quickly and carefully use a lighter (firestarter) to burn nub or any fuzz then burnish if necessary.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I use a pair of sharp fine point scissors. I pull the tag end fairly hard and stick the points of the scissors as close as possible to the wraps. When I snip the thread, the tension I apply makes the tag end snap under the wraps. You can also use a burner to melt the wraps, but that doesn't always erase the nub. A final way is to use a light multi-coat thread finish. Leave the nubs and apply a thin first coat. Wait for the finish to dry and come back with sharp razor and cut off the nub. Then apply you're next or final coat of finish. Good luck.
Tight lines,
Keith

PS
The picture I posted of the thread wraps and finish is not a rod I wrapped. I do not want to take credit for someone else's work. I wish my thread wraps looked that good. It's getting there though.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.