Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance. 

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was out this morning with a fleet of trollers, actually wasn't too bad... launch at 3:45 am and I would guess 40-50 boats by 10 am? Pete the WDFW check had been reporting about 50% of the boats that came in were with fish. Dad and I were lucky and picked off a 24 and 26" resident Blackmouth. Will be back out tomorrow morning in hopes of picking up a migratory fish. Thinking of Neah Bay in a couple of weeks... anyone been out recently?

·
Blind hog fisherman
2,895 Posts
Congrats, some great eating for the 4th. Very nice job with the filet knife, too. I enjoyed the photo of your father and his fish. I will offer that his memory of the day is of spending time with you. I imagine you cherish the time you spend with him.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
i heard quite a few fish were caught but didnt hear of many mature kings. did you see anything of size? i think we're still a couple weeks early for the best e-bay fishing. congrats on the blackmouth.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i heard quite a few fish were caught but didnt hear of many mature kings. did you see anything of size? i think we're still a couple weeks early for the best e-bay fishing. congrats on the blackmouth.
I agree, but its an annual tradition, so it was good to get out. Pete the checker said the biggest one yesterday was 17#. Everything is still resi BM.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just got back, really about the same # of boats today vs. yesterday, by 9:30 we pulled out, 2 BM for 10 boats. Think I'll wait a couple of weeks. Jesse, normal to me would be a 20 lb'er fresh from the San Juans. It was a REAL heartbreaker, we fought a nice adult of 12 lbs to the boat, went to net it and off she came un-buttoned! That was the only fish we saw all morning and didn't see or hear of anyone else around us pickin' off fish.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I like the single action reel to keep the tradition!
I was taught this way to fish with downriggers, I guess all the guys in BC run the single action reels, it feels like fighting a fish on a spey, just different. I guess theres an arguement for the forum: When does a fly reel evolve to the centerpin and then to a single action mooching reel??? HAHA!

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
I was taught this way to fish with downriggers, I guess all the guys in BC run the single action reels, it feels like fighting a fish on a spey, just different. I guess theres an arguement for the forum: When does a fly reel evolve to the centerpin and then to a single action mooching reel??? HAHA!
I can't answer your question, but here's a link to a traditional reel used in B.C. for years.

I don't have one yet, but it's on my to do list for my deep water salmon fishing.

Here's the link to the famous "Peetz" reel;

http://www.peetztackle.com/

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.