Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My good friend Eric (Troutrageous) and I decided to skip some of the crowds on the upper columbia systems and make a drive down to the Ronde. We got there on friday night and setup camp to make a day of fishing out of saturday. We usually like to skip right over the [email protected] section because we like to eat hatchery fish! So we parked at one of the higher parking lots, hiked up as far as we could, and fished our way back down to the car hitting the seams and tails that looked real good.

We really were catching the bass pretty good, and found this to be very enjoyable, even on the big stick! the initial grab, even from a small bass is always fun IMO. Anyways about 3/4s the way thru one of the runs and after being tapped by bass all day I get a REAL NICE HIT followed immediately by a couple real strong head shakes. After feeling that the fish was really on, and hearing my reel click a few times, I start to make my way back to the bank. on my way to the dry land, mr Steelface goes for an epic run, and my double clicker SCREAMED for the first time. WOW.... (thanks mumbles for the setup!) I made sure I had good side pressure and let the fish do his thing as my buddy comes sprinting down the bank to help with the commotion. Long story short we land the fish safely and I put my first spey fish to hand!
my best guess was 7-9# range wild fish, bright and healthy.
too sum this all up, and sorry about the messing writing....
INCREDIBLE.

http://i803.photobucket.com/albums/yy315/Cynosure63/100_4507.jpg

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
Blake, glad the setup got you some love...now it looks like you're gonna need a bigger net! Well done.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Uhhh...Blake? Yer gonna need a bigger net, dude!
Ha ha, You are very correct, I had a larger net until on an earlier trip this year the river decided to steal it from me.
But ya, now I really have to get another one. Season is just starting to fire up and toting around the trout net is def not gonna get the job done!

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
Nicely done- glad that the reel saw some action, which it would not have had it remained in Mumbles' possession!
That is cold my little leprechaun friend. When you start posting regular non-skunking steelhead reports you can rub my face in it...but you can't now!

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
Nice fish. I've never used a spey rod on that river.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.