Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys i am looking to start building rods as a hobby and probably wont try selling them unless friends want one so i dont need a industrial like set up just something that will get me through a few rods. I have a few questions:

first, i have been looking at this rod building tool kit http://www.mudhole.com/Shop-Our-Catalog/Rod-Building-Supplies/Complete-Accessory-Kit-w-Drying-Motor. what do you all think? is this a good for starters or is it a little much or little.

second is there any companies that dont make quality componnets, blanks, and threads that i should stay away from.

Third, i was looking to build a two piece 4wt rod at first is there any in expensive kits that you could suggest for starter?

Thanks,

Ab

·
A collector never stops collecting!
4,895 Posts
Can't suggest a specific kit, but I think that would be a good way to get started. All of the glue and epoxy would most likely be included and you can make a simple rod wrapper with a box or old styrofoam cooler. I like to select all of my components separately, and Rainshadow (Batson Enterprise) blanks and components are very reasonably priced! Two peices are fine and mean few ferrule wraps, but don't let that scare you off of a four or five peice rod. If you can find a local shop that teachs rod building I would reccomend that. I started building with Ron Torda up at All About the Fly in Monroe, WA, but that's a little out of the way for you! :)

Good luck!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just a little haha maybe if i move up to wasshington for school i will do that. my only issue with 4 and 5 piece rods is that it seems to me it would be harder to find a spin on them. is that true or would it be as easy or easier?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Finding a spine on a multi piece rod is not a problem. You just do each section and mark it like a 2 piece rod. The base section where the handle and real seat goes is so stiff I skip trying to spine it. It will not affect the rod performance.

I built a wooden rod jig from plans on the internet several years ago. I don't recall the web site buy google it and it should show up. I think it was on a fishing site focused on steelhead fishing. It has worked fine for me in making close to 50 rods. I also made a simple rod dryer with a low rpm motor mounted on a wood stand. It too has served me well. If I get a chance, I will try and post some pictures.

Dr Bob

·
Artist
831 Posts
That set up will work just fine if you don't mind spending the money and dont want o worry about missing anything. Or you can rig somthign from a box like flybill said that will not cost you much.Just to let you know if you really are going to get into building it wont be a waist of money buying the motor. You will find yourself using it for a lot of things down the road. One thing I do recomend for a first timer is buy a blank that is NOT a matte clear finish. I painted blank has a lot more grip and will be easer for wrap.
If you want to shoot me a PM and let me know how much you want to spend on a blank and real seat ill point you in the right direction.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.