Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Just swimming around, chasing fish in Beervana
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I fished for two days on the NF Stillaguamish this week and camped at Squire Creek CG. Did you know you can't consume alcoholic beverages there? All I have to say is, rules are meant to be broken right? Anyways, I broke out the Scandi line for the first time. I was fishing a 510 SA Scandinavian head on my Scott ARC 1287 (its a little heavy and needs some cutting). It was interesting, however, to see how I had to adjust my casting stroke from my Skagit-head stroke to make my Scandi turn over delicately to present my fly gently with the low water conditions. I found that almost all of my work was done the tip of the rod and the bottom hand rather than really working the entire rod with more force like I do with the Skagit setup. After the first two runs I starting getting the feel for things and did a much nicer job of presenting the fly after that. Needless to say I found no willing steelhead but hooked some small trout and dollies. I can't wait to improve on it some more because it was really nice to do some of the "touch and go" casting and fish at a quicker pace than the Skagit setup allows. Maybe I'll even find a steelhead next time!

Jeff

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.