Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got an email from my Mom today. As of 10:15 pm last night she observed thousands of shrimp, rock fish, and other fish dying on the beach and in shallow water. The shrimp that are there dying are huge ones (most at least 10"). She lives about 1.5 miles North of Hoodsport.

King 5 posted an article about the fish die-off:
http://www.king5.com/news/environment/Another-huge-fish-die-off-facing-Hood-Canal-103403574.html

Scientists say the human population along the dead-ended Hood Canal have raised the levels of nitrogen in the water. That nitrogen leads to a booming population of krill and other small organisms. But when that Krill dies, and as bacteria devour them, the bacteria pull oxygen critical to other fish out of the water. Since Hood Canal is a dead end with low circulation, that leads to big fish kills where fish simply cannot breathe.

This latest alarm went out for state biologists Sunday night while monitoring an automated buoy near Hoodsport.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Personally I suspect the larger developments uphill of the canal in many areas are contributing more problems than the septic tanks. Just a gut feeling here- I don't know the science behind it all. But when we've had washouts on 101 several times in the last few years, and more and more areas uphill getting trees cleared for development, it seems that's a pretty likely candidate for stuff getting washed down into the water.

·
Language, its a virus
1,602 Posts
As the article said this has been
an issue for decades. There are
some things being done, such as
the new sewer system being built
in Belfair and the proposed system
going in Hoodsport/Potlatch. I don't
feel that this will be enough but it's
a start. Hoods Canal is a very fragile
water system that doesn't "turn over" like
other bodies of water in Puget Sound. Any
pollution (septics, fertilizer, etc) tends to
stay in the water and not get flushed out
like other places, which magnifies the problem.

I feel that area is one of the most beautiful
places I have ever seen and needs to be protected
at any cost.

Dave

·
80 Posts
Nothing like a lot of septic tanks and lawn fertilizer leaching into what is a large saltwater lagoon.
This is a big problem on Vashon's inner Quartermaster Harbor where the outlet to Tramp Harbor was filled in and created a dead end. It's much smaller, but the same issue of old septics meant for vacation homes built back in the 50's and later are leaching out harmful bacteria and nitrogenous waste for algae blooms.

·
Go Beavs
598 Posts
A odd idea that came to me years ago about this- I've always thought they should punch a hole through at the bottom of the canal- make it a real canal- get some flow through Belfair...

I know it's not natural (define that in 2010 Puget Sound, please), I know it will never happen, but it would get the tides helping you at the bottom of the canal. It might be kinda cool, too.

·
Language, its a virus
1,602 Posts
DB, The idea of a canal connecting Hoods Canal and
Case Inlet was proposed in the 1890's. They are less than 5
miles apart as the crow flies. Lake Cushman
was a major resort area (before the dams went in) with
vistors from all over the world, including John Muir who
proclaimed that this area was the most beautiful he had ever seen.
The Canal between the two bodies of water would have cut travel time
in half from Seattle and Tacoma. The accounts of the fishing and hunting
in the 1890's are unreal with 20 +lbs Dollies being common before the dams.

Dave

·
Go Beavs
598 Posts
Seems about right for me- ideas 120 yrs behind the times...

It would basically be a straightforward highway project. Hopefully they could jazz it up a bit, and it probably would end up pretty interesting.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.