Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
To fish is to hope.
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a used 8' pram and got a small electric motor for it. Now I'm looking for recommendations on what kind of fish finder would work best. Thanks

·
Still fly fishing in the PCW
5,370 Posts
Hi Sue! I got a Spring Creek 8' Stillwater Classic. I tried it out the other day and loved it!
That's awesome, Judy! Great choice. I hope you get years of enjoyment of it - and lots and lots of fish! I'd love to do a lake outing this year if we can get some of the old gang together.

·
Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working
1,860 Posts
That's awesome, Judy! Great choice. I hope you get years of enjoyment of it - and lots and lots of fish! I'd love to do a lake outing this year if we can get some of the old gang together.
There are fly fishing gangs?? Who knew??

·
Registered
7,346 Posts
Congratulations on the Stillwater Classic, great boat! I have a Humminbird 140C (which are not made anymore), it has sidescan sonar capability. You might search Craigslist for Humminbird 120/140 - very partial to sidescan. There are other options so search WFF and you will see lots of folks with recommendations. Good luck!

·
To fish is to hope.
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Congratulations on the Stillwater Classic, great boat! I have a Humminbird 140C (which are not made anymore), it has sidescan sonar capability. You might search Craigslist for Humminbird 120/140 - very partial to sidescan. There are other options so search WFF and you will see lots of folks with recommendations. Good luck!
Thanks so much!

·
Premium Member
7,341 Posts
Hummingbird 120, best portable fish finder! Find a used one and pay more than the original retail. They don't make them anymore.
Another failure of modern marketing. Replace a popular and successful device that thousands love and depend on with a less capable and more expensive model. They have certainly earned my contempt as a customer.

·
Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working
1,860 Posts
We we
We wear camouflage waders so you probably wouldn't even know we were there.
Doesn't that defeat the intimidation factor of a gang??

Oh wait...I get it. You guys wear Simms clothing and fish with Sage stuff!!

·
Registered
205 Posts
I picked up a used 8' pram and got a small electric motor for it. Now I'm looking for recommendations on what kind of fish finder would work best. Thanks
I'm kind of new to fly fishing and new to fishing with a fish finder. A few years back humminbird made a finder that had a 60 degree transducer beam. so in 60' of water, you could see a 60' by 60' area of bottom. So far I noticed it works great in 15' to 60' of water. Tried to buy another one for my other boat last year and the only one they make now that I could find with a 60 degree beam was the 9" humminbird. I didn't. want to buy a 9" but it worked soo good on my smaller boat. So I did, the 9" comes with sidescan and bottom scan, haven't figured that out yet to be any good for me. If you could find a used 5" with 60 degree beam your going to love it. I mostly shop at Cabela's, checked all the other brands they sell, found no other company sells a finder with a 60 degree. Cabela's does not sell Simrad so I didn't check them. Anybody who has sidescan and loves it for finding and catching fish I would like to here about it? What worked for me the best is turning on the surefire option and the 60 degree beam.

·
Justified
4,940 Posts
Hummingbird 120, best portable fish finder! Find a used one and pay more than the original retail. They don't make them anymore.
BTW, has it ever been determined why that is? Really glad I got one when I did!

·
Registered
466 Posts
I use a Lowrance Mark 4 on my Native kayak with a magnetic mount, so no need to deal with drilling or through hull signal loss. Works great, easy to use, and love the GPS and track features. Powered with a Cabela's brand 8 Ah rechargable battery, it's been good for full days on the water.

Reactions: Buzzy

·
Registered
7,346 Posts
I use a Lowrance Mark 4 on my Native kayak with a magnetic mount, so no need to deal with drilling or through hull signal loss. Works great, easy to use, and love the GPS and track features. Powered with a Cabela's brand 8 Ah rechargable battery, it's been good for full days on the water.
You got me curious - another discontinued product....

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have a Lowrance Elite 5X - looks like the latest model is the "Hook" model.
The 5 has a 5" screen, the 4 model has a 4" screen.

If you are a chironomid fisher, this is a great sounder.
I will show you a mud/marl bottom as red & yellow.
I can see the hatches too, sometimes.

Edit: Elite 4X - have the 5X on the big boat:

Bicycle accessory Measuring instrument Font Material property Gadget

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.