Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased the humminbird 140 fish finder to use with my outcast 800fs pontoon boat. The only accessory offered by humminbird to mount it is the strap for float tube, and after purchasing it, found it doesn't work. I have also tried the Scotty rod holder but the largest diameter is 2.125 and I need 2.5 inches.
Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi, i use a eagle finder on a Scadden pontoon.
work's great, i just put it in the side tackle bag to my left and open the zipper a bit and put it in the open spot, it's easy to read and out of the way there.
I use a battery from my panasonic cordless drill 15.6 volt to run it and it works all day long...already have a cordless drill and your all set..12 volt will be fine too...why buy more stuff ..
I rigged a 'swing' away bracket under the seat for the transducer and it works good..

i am new to the site amd looking to fish with a fellow pontooner sometime!!

·
Old And In The Way
250 Posts
The only accessory offered by humminbird to mount it is the strap for float tube, and after purchasing it, found it doesn't work.
Why doesn't it work? Because of the diameter of your tubes? The Humminbird mount has a pretty short strap and is designed for the small diameter tubes of float tubes.

You could make up an extender for the strap if that's the case, or you could try the "Float Tube Buddy Holster" Cabela's sells. I have one of those and use it with my Humminbird 140c and Scadden Rampage that has 15" tubes, and there is plenty of additional length left over.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...en/common/search/search-box.jsp.form23&Go.x=0

I have trouble recommending it though. This is the review of it I posted on the Cabela's site:

"I find this thing to be very badly designed. Others have mentioned the lame buckle arrangement that has you remove it, adjust it, and clip it back on to check the fit, rather than the conventional way that Scotty uses on their float tube accessories where you just pull the strap to adjust it.

This bracket also doesn't really fit the Humminbird Fishin' Buddy transducer shafts, it's too large in diameter. Because of this and the fact that the strap is only sewn to the tube for a short distance, the assembly is very unstable and wobbles like crazy.

I added a strap to mine that just goes all the way through the tube and then around the tube of my pontoon boat, and it fixed the stability problems.

I wouldn't recommend this thing to an enemy, let alone a friend."

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
work's great, i just put it in the side tackle bag to my left and open the zipper a bit and put it in the open spot, it's easy to read and out of the way there.
I use a battery from my panasonic cordless drill 15.6 volt to run it and it works all day long...already have a cordless drill and your all set..12 volt will be fine too...why buy more stuff ..
I rigged a 'swing' away bracket under the seat for the transducer and it works good..

Hey, how do you rig up the connection with your cordless drill battery? I'd love to learn how that's done.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I have the 140c and it came with a boat mount. I have an Outcast Fish Cat 8 pontoon boat (older model), which has the square metal frame tubing under the seat (if you have round tubing, then what I do won't work). The new boat mount won't fit right on that seat tubing under the seat, so I use an older boat mount from a Bottomline Fishin' Buddy that fits on the left side of the seat, just under the seat. It is out of the way for oaring and the stripping apron fits just right in front of it. The diameter of the older boat mount is not exactly right, so when rowing quickly, the 140c will start to rock unless I brace it in the holder with a towel or something. If I'm rowing a long way quickly, I just remove the 140c from the holder, which also reduces water resistance. Those boat mounts are made of hard plastic, but I found out the hard way that if you tighten up the screw too tightly, you can crack the plastic. I also have the Cabela's Fishin' Buddy Holster, and like it was pointed out, the strap does not adjust easily, but it works for float tubing better than anything else I've found once you get the strap adjusted right.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
I have the same 140 C as Starman and I made a custom bracket out of these parts: The 'boat mount' bracket has 2 parts and I used the just the holder for the 140C.....I used an old Cabelas F. Buddy holster and cut the tube off...all I wanted was the strap. I made a doubler plate out of some plastic and drilled 3 # 8 holes through the holder, the strap and the doubler plate[this sandwiches the strap and keeps it from flexing]. It installs on my Abel the same way and I use one piece of heavy string with a plastic single snap to elimanate almost any movement. Using the bracket that came with the 140 C makes it very stable and it rotates the full 360 degrees when using the sidefinder. I only take it off when I'm heading to a river. I probably made it sound more complicated than it really was to build...if you need a couple pictures let me know. Fred. PS.... Michaels review is spot on! The first thing I did when I got the Cabelas holster[7-8 years ago] was to take that stupid adjusting buckle off and throw it away! You don't need them unless you like to start your day being pissed off and frustrated! I have always used 1 or 2 small straps to support the finder so you don't have to cinch the strap very tight.

·
Just an Old Man
35,199 Posts
Using a fish finder is like cheating when one is fishing. Too lazy to kick around a lake when fishing you could always use an electric motor. What ever happened to the sporting fun of fishing????????????????????????????

·
Old And In The Way
250 Posts
Using a fish finder is like cheating when one is fishing. Too lazy to kick around a lake when fishing you could always use an electric motor. What ever happened to the sporting fun of fishing????????????????????????????
Yeah, keep it pure like OM. He strips nekkid and swims and catches 'em by hand, then eats 'em raw, guts bones and all.

·
Piscatorial predilection
2,439 Posts

After reading this I headed straight for the garage and came up with this method of hooking up a 19.2 volt cordless drill battery to my trolling motor. I bought the 2 speed, 12 volt, motor about a month ago for $5 at a yard sale, it's old but it works. Anyway, the wire leads didn't have battery clips and I've been putting off doing anything about it, until now. I have 4 of these batteries and decided to use a spare charger cradle to make the connection. I took the charger base apart, cut out the circuit-board and wired the motor leads directly to the contacts. Simple and it works!
I'll be testing this out tomorrow for battery life and power, I will just put the batteries in a small cooler on the back of my 'toon to keep 'em dry. Will post results and pic's . BTW: OMJ, I ain't too lazy, just too smart to waste time kickin' around all day....LOL!

LB
Hey, how do you rig up the connection with your cordless drill battery? I'd love to learn how that's done.

·
Registered
249 Posts
agreed, you might as well be in a crank bait chucking bass tourney. fish finders for fly fishing what a joke.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Nah, your the joke for being second in line for getting on your little soapbox...oh, the horror of it all...using electronics to catch a fish! Something wrong with using crankbait for bass fishing?? It works and plenty of "sporting fun". It's why I bought my first Fishing Buddy, but it's way more fun fishing for trout with it, having guys at the launch bitching about the 'ping' it makes when marking a fish and then asking you an hour later what depth the fish are at! That's where it's a lot of fun for me! Now don't be an A.....e, just let it die son!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Nah, your the joke for being second in line for getting on your little soapbox...oh, the horror of it all...using electronics to catch a fish! Something wrong with using crankbait for bass fishing?? It works and plenty of "sporting fun". It's why I bought my first Fishing Buddy, but it's way more fun fishing for trout with it, having guys at the launch bitching about the 'ping' it makes when marking a fish and then asking you an hour later what depth the fish are at! That's where it's a lot of fun for me! Now don't be an A.....e, just let it die son!
to each there own I guess. however I have no problem finding the depth they are feeding at with out electronics. that's what sinking lines are for. for me the essence of fly fishing is exploring and figuring out where the fish are, how deep and what they are eating on my own. sounds like fly fishing to you is just about catching fish, not the whole process. And remember you don't "earn" any fish you catch with electronics, you didn't find it a electronic devise did. But sounds like ur having fun with it so to each there own. now i will let it die son!

·
Old And In The Way
250 Posts
I almost never find fish with my fish finder. The beam is too narrow, and it points down. If there is a fish directly under my boat, I am unlikely to catch it.

I use the fishfinder for locating structure, dropoffs, and measuring water temperature. That's info that helps me find fish, but it certainly doesn't result in my necessarily catching them.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I almost never find fish with my fish finder. The beam is too narrow, and it points down. If there is a fish directly under my boat, I am unlikely to catch it.

I use the fishfinder for locating structure, dropoffs, and measuring water temperature. That's info that helps me find fish, but it certainly doesn't result in my necessarily catching them.
I guess i should keep my mouth shut because I do use a thermometer attached to a string with marks on it to find out the temp at different levels in the water. however its not electronic. I look at the shore to figure out structure. like stumps and snags that have broken off trees, rock slides etc. I understand it could be a helpful device for some just not my cup of tea. If it helps u have fun, keep on truckin

·
Registered
249 Posts
The only relevant statement you have made....this thread is[actually was] about finding a way to MOUNT a fish finder...not what you think about them or anything else for that matter.
there is a spot on this board for boats. you posted in the general section. you should expect people to speak there mind. next time u quote me be sure and use my full quote

·
Registered
249 Posts
plus u didn't even start the thread so if you really need to defend your ability as a sport go ahead defend it. truly it sounds like you need to justify the sport of using electronics for fly fishing. I dont really care, I just thought what Old man said was extremely relevant and I have the right to agree with him. just as you have the right to disagree. this reminds me of guys who drive overly large trucks, sounds like you need to compensate for something. maybe its your inability as an angler or whatever.why dont you take the energy you are wasting by getting angry over a post and take a class on how to read water. only then you will find the sport of fly fishing. Im over this crap

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
See, I knew you were a joke! You didn't even read the thread or you would have known I didn't start it. You make it too easy...your the joke that changed the thread so you could spout off from your 6" soapbox with your little catchphrases that you quoted from some book you read. Your like a little dog nipping at someone heels or butts in on a conversation without knowing what the topic is and tries to change it and then keeps talking when everyone walks away. Go back and read the thread and you'll see how relevant[not a bit] you've been. I've never been angry at any post, but I will call out little d...s that don't read it, try to change the topic and then try to sound important. It's all you, not me! Yip Yip Yip.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.