Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Fish Id

Tags
fish fish id id
3K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  freestoneangler 
#1 ·
As temperatures continue to hover around freezing and my local river cranking well above a fishable level, I have nothing left but to pretend to tie flies and look back on warmer times. I found this photo of one of my first fish caught on a dry fly. This guy, and many others, are the only things besides red eared slider turtles that inhabit my buddy's backyard pond on the east side. Funnily enough, they take elk hair caddis April-October, and were integral in helping me hone my dry fly presentation. Any guesses?
Fish Ray-finned fish Electric blue Fin Recreation

See less See more
#2 ·
As temperatures continue to hover around freezing and my local river cranking well above a fishable level, I have nothing left but to pretend to tie flies and look back on warmer times. I found this photo of one of my first fish caught on a dry fly. This guy, and many others, are the only things besides red eared slider turtles that inhabit my buddy's backyard pond on the east side. Funnily enough, they take elk hair caddis April-October, and were integral in helping me hone my dry fly presentation. Any guesses?
View attachment 134680
tench?

#5 ·
View attachment 134680
Can you introduce me to your friend. Takes dry flies consistently all summer...in western WA. I'm in, even if I don't know what the hell I'm actually catching....

#9 ·
How in the world did tench end up in your buddies pond? He may want to contact WDFW and let them know they are in there. The agency doesn't really want them around. I've been instructed to kill any and every single one I catch in the Columbia.
They get about six pounds, and not much bigger unless you get a pregnant one. Very, very odd fish. This is the first year I didn't encounter any on the Columbia in about ten years, though I'm sure they are still around.
Plant Water Fisherman Watercourse Fish

Reactions: 15130 and Irafly
#10 ·
How in the world did tench end up in your buddies pond? He may want to contact WDFW and let them know they are in there. The agency doesn't really want them around. I've been instructed to kill any and every single one I catch in the Columbia.
They get about six pounds, and not much bigger unless you get a pregnant one. Very, very odd fish. This is the first year I didn't encounter any on the Columbia in about ten years, though I'm sure they are still around.
View attachment 134787
He has no clue how they got in there, assumed they made their way in from neighboring wetlands. All of the ones I have caught (all on dry flies) are the size of the one in my picture, but who knows how large they could get if given enough time. Why are they unwelcome? From what I can tell, they are the only fish in the pond and aren't a bother to the turtles.

#17 ·
Or try this historic recipe:

Tench

Fish
Historic

Tench stewed with lemon-peel, horseradish, herbs, cloves, white wine, anchovy, thickened liquor as sauce with shrimps. Garnish of fried bread soldiers, grated lemon and horseradish, mushrooms (Bradley 1728)

Original Receipt in 'The Country Housewife and Lady's Director' by Prof. R Bradley, 1728 (Bradley 1728)

To bake Tench. From Lady G.

Take your Tench, fresh from the Pond, gut them, and clean them from the Scales; then kill them, by giving them an hard stroke on the back of the Head, or else they will live for many Hours, and even jump out of the Pan in the Oven, when they are half enough. Then lay them in a Pan, with some Mushroom Katchep, some strong Gravey, half a Pint of pickled Mushrooms, as much White-Wine as Gravey, three or four large Shallots, an Anchovy or two, two or three slices of fat Bacon, some Pepper, Cloves, and Nutmeg, at pleasure, a little Salt, some Lemon-Peel, and a bunch of sweet Herbs; then break some bits of Butter, and lay them on your Fish, then cover all as close as you can, and give them an Hour's baking.

When they are enough, lay them in a hot Dish, and pour off the Liquor, and strain it, only preserving the Mushrooms; then add to it a spoonful of Lemon-Juice, and thicken your Sauce with the Yolks of four Eggs, beaten with Cream, and mix'd, by degrees, with the Sauce. Pour this over your Fish, and serve it hot with a Garnish of BeetRoots sliced, some slices of Lemon-Peel, and some Horse-Radish scraped.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.