Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished the Sol Duc Monday and Tuesday. Didn’t have a boat or a guide. Didn’t know where to go and didn’t have a clue. Stayed in Port Angeles and visited the Waters West fly shop down on the waterfront just west of the ferry. I can not begin to tell you how much help Dave Steinbaugh was when I spoke with him at his shop. I had originally planned to try the Elwha, but he quickly pointed out that I’d be better off hitting the Sol Duc. He said the drive around Crescent lake isn’t too bad and the curves have a tendency to straighten out after a couple trips. I fished a spot between Tumbling Rapids and Beaver. There seemed to be few spots I could access from the road and either those spots were not very good holding water or just plain hard to Spey from. Of all the spots I explored, I kept coming back to the bridge above the Salmon Hatchery. The water itself was very different than North Sound rivers, but very pretty stuff for Steelhead. Because of the difference between rivers, I seemed to have a hard time with presentation and depth. Never got a bite and never saw a fish until the last hour before I was to return to Seattle. This monster native buck, that was well over 15 pounds, did aerials up and down the run I had been fishing all morning. He was in full spawning colors. That sight made me a believer in the Sol Duc. As this trip was a recon mission anyway, not catching anything was expected. It was also nice fishing during the week as I heard there were over a hundred and forty boats on the river during the weekend. I only saw a couple other fisherman the whole trip. When the fishing ends on this side of the pond, I will go back and check out the Sol Duc, Calawah and Bogachiel west of highway 101.

More about the West River fly shop. The second day I went to Dave’s shop, he was wearing rubber gloves and dying feathers. I really liked that fly shop. He had a big selection of hard to find fly tying material and his prices were equal or better than Seattle prices. He even had Spey flies tied up and they were only three bucks a piece. The next time I go back over there, I’ll be going to fish, but I’ll have a list of things that I need for my tying kit. I’m thinking the money I save will pay for gas on some of the big ticket items that I need.

In summery, Didn’t catch anything, but I could have done that here too. Learned a little about fishing new rivers and explored new fisheries. Found a great fly shop that was worth the trip.

Matt

"Everyday that you wake up and decide not to go fishing...is one less day you'll go fishing." Forrest Maxwell

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
heh there,
Was waiting to see if anyone was hitting the Duc or not. Me and my Wife take a long weekend trip over there every year. I've been going over there every year since '93 myself. Over the years I have come to find out that usually by mid Feb. the natives are all the way up through the system. I've had my most success fishing the area just below the salmon hatchery above tumbling rapids campground. If you park your vehicle at the entrance there you can walk through the campground to access the river, and you can go either direction from there. Also there is some good water just up 101 at the Bear Creek Lodge area (state campground-open year round).
Going down lower from tumbling rapids there is some more access points.
If you would like to email me feel free. I can give you alot more info on the Duc all the way down to the confluence with the Bogey.
I always have a great time on the Duc
Scott
[email protected]

·
been around
118 Posts
ya waters west is a great shop those guys have like you say good quality materials at very very resonable prices if ya cant wait to go there to get your stuff they'll ship it bought some dyed amhearst from them this week and they didn't even charge for shipping
john

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.