Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
10,387 Posts
What's with the "north of falcon" thing... sounds like a military operation.

"Our first priority is to develop fisheries that are consistent with efforts to protect and rebuild wild salmon stocks," said Jim Unsworth, director of WDFW.

Is it just me or does anyone else feel that netting rivers seems inconsistent with achieving that goal?

Ultimately, we agreed on a package of fisheries that places a priority on conservation while allowing for limited fishing opportunities in Puget Sound."

All of Puget Sounds fishing pressure focused on a few select areas... that should be fun... to watch. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Porter

·
Registered
11,255 Posts
What's with the "north of falcon" thing... sounds like a military operation.

"Our first priority is to develop fisheries that are consistent with efforts to protect and rebuild wild salmon stocks," said Jim Unsworth, director of WDFW.

Is it just me or does anyone else feel that netting rivers seems inconsistent with achieving that goal?
Exactly, and I don't know about the "North of Falcon".

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
FSA -
In PFMC (Pacific Fisheries Management Council) coastal salmon season setting process they set both southern and Northern fisheries with the dividing line being Cape of Falcon (located south of Cannon Beach in Oregon. Washington coast and Puget Sound fisheries are part of the Northern Fisheries thus the name North of Falcon (NOF).

Curt

·
Registered
11,255 Posts
Ah. Thanks. I have been to the Cape of Falcon, for some reason I didnt associate that with Washington and its current salmon fishing dilemma, but after reading a bit more I think understand now.

·
CCA, Hatchery Wild Coexist
1,540 Posts
Curt, wouldn't this be the right time to start fin clipping All Hatchery raised Salmon ? Then move onto more select catch and keep or catch and release rules? Having the Skagit river closed in September/October really sucks!

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
Skyrise -
The vast majority of PS hatchery Chinook and Coho are adipose clipped and have been so for years. The has served as the foundation for the recreational mark selective fisheries when there is a surplus of hatchery fish and enough wild fish impacts to be within the expect mortalities from the release of the wild fish.

This year the wild coho and hatchery coho forecast were such that on many rivers there concerns about having enough hatchery fish to meet the hatchery needs and the Status of the key wild coho stocks were at critical status. That critical status meant that total impacts (harvest plus release mortality) had to be below 10%. As a result it was a no brainer about having a no coho season in rivers like the Skagit. The more painful was the closure of the game fish seasons. Those closures were essentially a give away/trade to insure having recreational marine Chinook seasons (mark selective).

Curt

·
Ignored Member
12,110 Posts
Screw 'em. I'm fishing the Skagit this fall for cutts, open or not. Same for spring steelhead. I'm done asking for seasons. I'm going fishing.

·
Banned
10,387 Posts
Screw 'em. I'm fishing the Skagit this fall for cutts, open or not. Same for spring steelhead. I'm done asking for seasons. I'm going fishing.
Well, there goes the "it wasn't premeditated your honor, honest" plea. I sense a Skagit River Fly Fishing Anarchist's group in the making. Who knows, maybe a reality TV show opportunity.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.