Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I am looking for a local fishing oriented charity for this years tax deduction. I have given to TU in the past, and will probably give to them again this year, but was also wondering what some of the other, more local, ones might be. Any ideas, or suggestions.

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
385 Posts
I've been out of work for over a year with a back injury, I'll take anything you're giving!(just kidding, although it is true)Why not donate it to Childrens Hospital or Big Brothers, we need kids to keep the sport alive when we get to be as old as the Oldman! :DEVIL :TONGUE :THUMBSUP

·
Registered
506 Posts
Well, right now I am working with Skagit Fisheries Enhancement Group. If you love the Skagit and it's wild fish, you might consider a membership donation. We are a nonprofit group, doing a lot of pertinent restoration work and environmental education locally.
Just a thought, Pete
here's a link: http://www.skagitfisheries.org/

"The Skagit Fisheries Enhancement (SFEG) is a nonprofit organization formed in 1990 to engage communities in habitat restoration and watershed stewardship in order to enhance salmon populations. As a non-governmental organization, we have unique cooperative relationships with local landowners, conservation groups, government agencies and tribes. Through the hard work of our volunteers and professional restoration crew, we have been recognized as a local leader in salmon restoration."

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Washington Trout - www.washingtontrout.org. It is not a "fishing" charity but does (in my humble opinion) great work in trying to protect, restore and enhance wild fish populations in Washington.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I suggest the Washington Trailblazers. They are at risk of losing their hatchery due to lack of government funding. A nice contribution will help them keep the stocking program going for the Alpine Lakes area.

Here is their link: http://www.watrailblazers.org/index.shtml

Remember that this is a voulenteer program that has been going on for 4 generations and will only remain in effect as long as they have a hatchery. No hatchery, no fish in the alpine lakes (except small coastal cuthroats and rainbows) Many of the photos shown on this website of high lakes fish are the cause of this program. Please help them!

For more specific information on the effects of this program, here is a link: http://www.wa.gov/wdfw/fish/high_lakes/

·
Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!
5,673 Posts
I'll second the motion for Wild Steelhead Coalition. I think they are doing some of the most important work in wild fisheries protection and research and lobbying out here. This is a serious endeavor that will make a tremendous difference for the future of wild fish and the conservation ethic of wild fish preservation.You should look into this. Link on home page of this site.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Westie,

You said that you're looking for a tax deduction, but it's not clear that all of the organizations that have been mentioned are charities, and membership fees and contributions may or may not be tax deductible.

Joe

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.